Ready meals?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on low fat ready meals as i was wondering if it was better to eat two of these a day as its easy than adding up fat and calories i.e when making a sandwich and they seem alot less in fat and would fill you up more.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI, I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED ORLISTAT, AND I FOUND MYSELF THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING WHILST I WAS SHOPPING TODAY. IT WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER TO READ THE BACK OF A COMPLETE MEAL, RATHER THAN TAKING TWO HOURS READING EVERY SINGLE ITEM IN THE PRODUCTS. I THINK IT SHOLDN'T MATTER TOO MUCH, ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE PERSERVATIVES ECT IN READY-MEALS. I AM JUST STICKING TO FRSH VEG LEAN MEAT FOR TEA. AND I HAD THOSE BATCHELOR RICE PACKETS FOR DINNER YESTERDAY, REALLY LOW IN FAT, ALONGSIDE A PIECE OF SALMON-LOVELY!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS.
  • Posted

yes it does thanks. been on salads and jacket pot for tea but even light flora is 3.5g of fat per 10g so trying to eat the right things but getting stressed counting everything. have lost 5lb in 10 days but going back to work in two weeks and do long houre so will not have as much time to organise meals.
  • Posted

WELL 5LB IN 10 DAYS IS GREAT NEARLY HALF A STONE-WOW!! IM BUSY WITH MY 2 YEAR OLD, SO THATS WHY I GOT THE PACKET OF FLAVOURES RICE BY BATCHELOR. I FIND THE EASIEST WAY OF WORKING OUT A MEAL IS TO THINK THAT VEGTABLES PASTA, FRUIT, POTATOES ARE AL THINGS THAT YOU SHOULD EAT IN A DAY AND THEY ARE ALL FREE FOODS. (FREE FROM FAT. IF YOU NEED A SNACK THERE IS SNACK-A-JACKS, MULLER LIGHT YOGHURTS, FRUIT, VEG STICKS AND HOMOUS. JUST AVOID SAUCES, TRHEY ARE DANGEROUS. THE WEIGHTWATCHERS RANGE FOR PASTA SAUCES ARE EXTREMELY LOW IN FAT. SO PASTA, CHICKEN AND TOMATOES WITH THE WEIGHT WATCHERS SUN DRIES TOMATO SAUCE = LOW FAT YET FILLING MEAL.
  • Posted

I never thought I'd even buy a ready meal until very recently....hmmmmm did buy a WW and a M & S.....and have now eaten both - I didn't like either...not satisfying and as RR says they are SO salty...they have to have all that salt to make up for taste...I'd rather have steamed veggies alone rather than a ready meal and won't be buying any more. It does take a lot of time to ensure that you are keeping to your calorie and fat count but think of your great loss over 5 days, surely makes it worth the effort. Keep counting and losing!! It was great that you started the regime on days when you had time to concentrate on it totally. How wise.
  • Posted

just need some inspiring ideas as having crispbreads for lunch and salad or ready meal for tea. sometimes though at lunch i still feel hungry and find it annoying. trying to stick to 1400 cals and 25-30g of fat.
  • Posted

I would never have bought a ready meal before the orlistat but I now have a few in the freezer.

They are not perfect but on a day I can't cook from scratch or I'm tired they are an option.

Obviously I buy the low fat low calorie ones - birds eye do 'great British menu' and although not as good as home made roast chicken it is edible.

You could always 'batch' cook your own meals and freeze them. I do that with chilli because it is impossible to make a chilli for one person INHO.

• Posted

i thought this at first but decided i would rather make my own meals the majority of the time, i dont find a lot of ready meals very nice. i've found that once you start using particular products often you learn quickly what the nutritional values are, how much you can have per meal etc.

also flora do an extra light spread (purple tub) which is 1.8g fat per 10g which allows you almost twice as much spread (if needed) as the light version and still tastes nice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.