Ready to go back to work? !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. Just wanting your thoughts on returning to work. My note runs out next week after posterior prolapse 4 weeks ago. Although I'm feeling ok the worst position to be in is sitting upright. Especially if at a desk for 8 hours. Has anyone got advice who has been through this procedure? Should I take more time off or maybe reduce hours? Don't want to go back and then end up off sick again as rushed things!! I also have 2 young children so it's not a case of resting when I get home (that's when 2nd job starts ) !

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks. Jo xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jo

I would definitely get signed off for another couple of weeks - take as much time as you can.

I went back to work just half days last week (10 weeks after A&P repair) and its been difficult - very uncomfortable sitting and driving - hoping I havent done any damage but Matron has reassured me that it is just swelling and bruising from too much sitting.

The general rule is that recovery takes at least 6-8 weeks and as you have children - take that amount of time off and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. Hope your recovering well? I know I'm bored and feeling guilty for not working. It's the external stitches giving me the most grief which I didn't expect to have to be honest.
    • Posted

Dont feel guilty - i tried to enjoy the time off knowing that i wouldnt get this time off again (hopefully) even though I didnt feel brilliant - and often you will have a good day followed by a not so good day or days so take as much time as you can x
  • Posted

4 weeks is too early to return to work after this surgery. I even think 8 weeks is too be honest. If you went back at 8 weeks it should be on a graduated return basis and your GP can indicate that on your return to work note. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I will let you know how I get on next week when I see my GP. it's difficult because I feel ok at home with legs up and general pottering. Would hate to push it and go back too early then push it too much to soon. Xx
    • Posted

Don't undo your consultants good work x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.