Realistic Expectations from Pred

Posted , 10 users are following.

My GP said symptoms would disappear and I would feel energised after 48 hours. This didn't happen. We've upped the dose to 20mg and the symptoms have much improved. However I am still slightly achy - and after lunch with a friend and a walk about town was flat out and had to rest. I'd love to know how you all have reacted to Pred. Was it a wonder drug and did it banish all your symptoms? I'll take slight achiness and stiffness over crunchy grabby pain any time - but just interested...

0 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

celia14153, when first diagnosed with PMR 20 mg worked, noticed difference in couple of days, not normal, but better. After a flare up 20 was no good had to go to 30 mg. Rheumy wanted me on 30 mg for 7 days and reduce to 27 1/2, was on 30 mg for almost 2 months. The Rheumy and I do not agree, but I have told her I will not reduce if I am in PMR pain. Reducing to 25 mg on Monday after 2 weeks on 27 1/2 mg. I am exercising daily pain free, if it was not for the Pred side effects, I would say I free normal. I will continue to reduce every 2 weeks at less than 10% rate as long as I am pain free. The forum has been great, kicking me to get moving and directing me along the way.

This is an individual road we are on, but many are much further down they road.

Good Luck on your journey.

• Posted

That's very helpful Michdonn - I'm certainly learning how different we all are, not to give up too soon and experiment a bit. It's getting to know the way your own body works in the end but so useful to learn what others have done and how they've coped. This is a fantastic forum!

• Posted

The forum has been a great help to me, you will learn your way. The Rheumy do not know the way, if your's is smart you will teach them along your way.

Good Luck we are traveling our roads together!

• Posted

It is so great to have all of you partners traveling this road together, folks who understand the PMR road, accepting our various differences, and helping each other with suggestions and reading of their experiences.  So many others outside of our circle just don't understand many facets of this disease, for example, the weakness, getting more tired and weary, etc.  Huirrayi for you all!

• Posted

Just to pick up on something Michdonn said - keeping moving is very important. It doesn't have to be much - I know many people CAN'T "exercise". Even a 5 minute walk, preferably a few times a day if you can't manage more at a time, makes such a difference. A clinical study in the north of England is giving patients a fitbit type thing and encouraging them to increase their amount of walking. Once you manage 5 minutes, you can add a couple of minutes at a time. 

I'm not saying this out of pie in the sky - in May 5 years ago I couldn't walk more than a couple of hundred yards into the village and was on crutches. By the Christmas I was walking the full walk round the village, a good 20+ mins, just by building first the distance and then the speed. I wish I could do more but I CAN now walk for a couple of hours at my own pace. It does work.

• Posted

It is only a couple of months ago, you got me going. Doctor's appointment in a wheelchair. Sitting on the couch, you said try 10 minutes, rest and try 10 minutes more. My wife got me a Fitbit now I have been taking three walks a day for about 6 miles, hope to get back on my bike next week. I am PMR pain free.

Thanks EileenH. 🙂🙂🙂

• Posted

Well done to you....it gives us all hope when we read these posts.....Keep well....
    • Posted

A little bit at a time, each day a little more, not reducing too quickly, I really think that is the key! EileenH, cautioned me not to taper too quickly, I don't think I would feel this good if I had rushed. We are all heading down this path.

• Posted

Keeping moving is very important.  I took part in a concert given by a community choir I belong to on Friday evening.  I'd forgotten how hard it is.  It meant standing for the better part of two hours, although I did sit down during the interval.  During the second half I though I wouldn't make it, had to start just moving my lips because I had not enough breath to sing!  When it was finally over I found my legs didn't want to work.  I struggled to get to the car!  I wasn't really happy again until I'd got home, had a bath and collapsed into my favourite comfy chair!  Now I think if only I'd remembered to do somthing to keep the blood flowing, taken opportunites to stand on tiptoes, etc.  

• Posted

Eat some more DULSE, only kidding, it's hard to stand for a long time. A little bit at a time, no matter what it is. Increase your active a little each time. But try to increase a little each day. Plus I will not reduce my Phed if in PMR pain.

• Posted

You are actually talking to someone who does her 10,000 steps or more everyday.  It was the standing in one spot, very confined, which did me in!

cool
    • Posted

Then, it must be the lack of DULSE, I never could stand in one place too long it was hell in the military. I average 13, 255 steps this week, which my best week so far. I am increasing my morning walk weighs to 3 lbs. Just hope I keep improving!!!
    • Posted

Good progress!   I had decreased my exercise for quite a while and have gotten myself into a jam, sort of.  My muscles have become weaker and have a bad balance problem.  I had a physical therapy evaluation last week and several important muscles have weakened including my core, important for balance.  So I began PT  last week, 2nd session is today, and I'm going to work on it real hard.  It's quicker to lose it than gain it back  This is going to take a lot of perseverence!  I can't let myself go.

• Posted

Careful not to overdo it though!
    • Posted

Nice try, Michdonn!  You are not getting me to eat that stuff.  🤢

• Posted

You are so right Eileen, I grew up eating it Irish father, Nova Scotian mother. I enjoy eating it and it is on the diet that I am following. Anhaga does not like it and I was just teasing.
    • Posted

Oh, I am having a great chuckle! Big smile on my face. Dropped to 25 mg today no pain, good morning walk!
    • Posted

That sounds brilliant. Carry on! Even eating the dulse stuff....😄

• Posted

Since I introduced aloe vera gel to my day I have found my taper has become awesomely easy.  Tried 1 mg today.  So, all you folk out there, there is hope!  
    • Posted

celiia14153, I love the stuff and left alone would eat too too much. When growing up and as an adult, I would walk the beach picking it up, walk to water wash it off and eat it. My wife and Anhaga have the same dislike. It does have an unique taste. SMILING! 😊

• Posted

I did look up health aspects of dulse and as you would expect, being a seaweed, it is terrifically healthy, full of all sorts of important micronutrients.  So, enjoy!  You can have my share. twisted
    • Posted

In the small town where I grew up one of the stores had a window completely full of dulse.  I remember that, have no recollection what else they sold.
    • Posted

Anhaga, what are you doing with the aloe vera gel? 1 mg ? That not on my diet!
    • Posted

Well I am doing my best to help the economy of Nova Scotia, eating DULSE and wild caught fish. And as happy as a CLAM or Quahaug!
    • Posted

I use one of those plastic medicine cups, holds two tablespoons (and has multiple other measurements on it but tbsp works for me).  I have two of these a day, not at the same time.  Only started about a month ago.  I have heard from people on the healthunlocked forum that they a) hate the taste and b) it didn't work for them.  I suspect the kind they are taking must have some sort of additional flavour because really it has very little taste, just the faintest trace of tartness which vanishes quickly.  The other theory I am thinking could be true is that it works to help people for whom PMR is either in remission or very close, and it's actually dealing more with pred withdrawal than PMR itself.  It could be a coincidence but i have noticed a very definite difference in my perception of how much pain I feel - nearly none any more, when before I would admit to fairly significant "niggles" although none of the original PMR disability.  I've been feeling for about three months that I may be heading into remission but of course one doesn't want to tempt fate.  The aloe vera is in addition to a number of things I've done.  I am fortunate to live where I can get low level light therapy (google that, adding words Toronto and kahn and you should find link to info) and I've done everything else I can think of to improve my health (except eat dulse eek wink.

• Posted

I will try aloe vera gel, when I get to lower dose. We have relatives who use low light therapy. Some of our friends back in the NE also go to Florida for the winter for same reason. Hang in there Herring choker!
    • Posted

Haha.  Actually I think my hubby really is a herring choker as he was born on the Eastern shore.  Is that right?  You know more than I with your NS roots.  Being an immigrant and child of immigrants there's a lot I've never learned....

The light therapy has not been tested for PMR, but is used apparently effectively.  Research has shown it helps with rheumatoid arthritis.  Apparently it has some effect on reducing the production of inflammatory cytokines.  I started getting it when I was at about 8 mg.  I am in the process of phasing it out now as I don't think I need it any more, now tapering to 1 mg, fingers crossed.  But it definitely helped me a lot between 8 mg and about 2 mg.  At first I went twice a week for 1/2 hour session, later once a week.  The reduction is phased in by adding a week between treatments, this time I'm waiting four weeks.  It's a bit like the pred, not supposed to stop cold turkey!  Fortunately I have partial coverage for physiotherapy (it's a physiotherapist who provides my treatment and she's done a number of other things to help me).

• Posted

Michdonn, please note there are several kinds of light therapy, many of which would have no effect on PMR.  This is a pretty intense treatment.  It can be used for conditions as serious a brain injuries, but for the most part my physiotherapist treats sports and similar injuries.  She had previous experience with treating PMR and seems to have a good understanding of the limitations of the condition.
    • Posted

Well Anhaga, as I remember either a Blue Nose or a Herring Choker, the teasing use to go a between my dad, my mother and her aunt. It was all I'm good fun. I wish you the best and hope you get to zero. I am just hoping to get to 10 then really start the DSNS. Good Luck, have a bowl of DULSE for me!😋

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.