Realistic, Intense and Scary Dreams/Nightmares, how can I prevent it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been getting disturbing and life-like dreams/nightmares the past like, 3 months and they've just been getting more and more intense.

I know it may seem insignificant, but I truly don't want to see traumatic events in my dreams, let alone in general. They range from witnessing murders, terminal illnesses and even bombings, however, these events happen to loved ones and others in my dreams, they are never targeted towards me.

For example, if a murder were to occur in my dream, it would always be someone else who dies, I always have to witness it.

My dreams up until this point used to be surreal and imaginative, however for some reason it took a very drastic turn

That being said, should I like, see a counselor or something about it? Or are there other ways for my mind to calm down? These dreams of mine are legitimately beginning to feel more and more vividly horrific as time goes on and it's messing with me and my sleeping patterns quite immensely.

Thanks. ❤️

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That sounds horrible! Sorry this is happening to you. I had years where I couldn't sleep and I had strange and vivid dreams when I did. They weren't bad like yours. I was very lucky because mine was just a simple fix. A friend told me to stop drinking any caffeine after 5:00. That worked for me. I was drinking ice tea a lot. The dreams stopped after I quit caffeine in evenings and nights. Eventually, a doctor gave me medicine for my insomnia....which I had since I was around 8 or 9 years old. I have been sleeping great for the last 20 years thankfully.

I hope you get help....even if you start with a family doctor. That would be terrifying to have those dreams every night!

Did you lose someone that you loved? Just curious because your dreams have a theme of people that you love dying. Mine were just random and meaningless.

• Posted

I lost two pets recently that I had for over ten years, but I never see those two in my dreams at all.

I've never had any overly-traumatizing experiences that affect my current life either.

However, I will definitely reach out to someone about it, after every dream I have a hard time going back to sleep and feel incredibly paranoid. Although I have been told that I may have "separation anxiety" and was wondering if that was affecting what I'm dreaming.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. ❤️

• Posted

Yes. Talking with a therapist helps.. Make an appt to see one!! In the meantime, turn off the computer/TV before bed and do some stretching-- deep breaths before bed.I know we 'work' stuff out in our dreams.. Even I've been having odd dreams--- one was about a celebrity boyfriend and then another one that was violent.. I know there's a lot of stuff going on in the world so maybe I need to turn the TV off more... Take Care

• Posted

Haha, I do have a hard time keeping away from my electronics, so that'd probably be a factor.

The stretching and deep breathing would probably calm me down easier if I were to have another one of these disturbing nightmares now that I think about it. I always feel incredibly paranoid after every one.

All in all, thank you for your message, I appreciate it c:

❤️

• Posted

Cactus

Are you eating to late in the evening before bed,if so try and have supper about two hours before sleep.

Are you a drinker or abuser of drugs. Or are you on any medications that can cause side affects ?

One thing you could try is go to bed at regular times, this aids sleep. Also if the bedroom is to warm that can affect how people sleep. If your tummy is rumbling have a small class of milk that will settle the tummy.

Try Relaxation Techniques, MINDFULNESS, you can purchase books explaining the technique , this may help you relax and sleep. When watching TV before bed, be proactive and try and watch something none frightening before bed. That can also help

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.