Really allergies?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Starting in February I started feeling awful. I was nauseous in the morning and shaky. Sometimes my legs and arms felt like pins and needles. I had a lose of appetite and was losing weight. I had seen an ENT and she thought it was reflux. I saw a GI and he did a scope and said everything was clear and my biopsies all came back normal. This was going on for months on and off. I went to my allergist and they did environmental tests. Found out I had allergies to most trees, grass, and weeds. They gave me nasal spray and suggested the nedi-pot (which I was already using). A friend recommended zrytec and that seemed to help. 

I stopped taking it two days ago. I don't like being on medication for too long. Well, two days later I started feeling some symptoms. My ears started to clog when I inhaled. I began feeling nauseous. I took another zrytec. Things then got worse. The nausea took over and I began to actually throw up which never happened prior. I would sweat and freeze, but no fever. My legs and arms were tingling and I felt weak. I couldn't walk very long with out needing to lay down. I ended up going to the ER. They did blood work and everything came back normal. They gave me fluids and nausea medication which didn't seem to work. 

I feel lost and that this is going to be ongoing. Can this be allergies? Can this be something else? I don't know what to do anymore. Please give me some suggestions. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I understand that the GI did not find anything when he did the scope but I don't know if that test tested for GERDS or not. He may have looked for damage from GERDS but you might call and ask him if it is still possible for you to have GERDS or at least acid reflux. And then I would start taking a proton pump inhibitor. (Prilosec, medium for example) You have to take those every single day for them to work. You cannot just take one when you're nauseous or it won't work. I know you said you stop the allergy medicine because you didn't like taking pills but if it was helping then it was silly for you to stop it. You might try treating the acid reflux first and if you're not completely better with that then add in the allergy medicine again and see if you get better with both of them. And most people do not like taking medication but sometimes we have to to help our bodies function properly.

• Posted

I can completely understand about taking medication but if it's easing your symptoms it's worth sticking with it. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess, maybe keeping a diary of symptoms, how long they last, have you eaten or drank anything just beforehand, when they occur, where the occur might help to narrow things down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.