Really anxious, has anal fistula self resolved?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

Saw GP over a month ago and was referred to lower GI clinic as had a very TINY area which would weep pus and bleed, was very very uncomfortable and was actually running any sort of activity for me.

Anyway, was seen by surgeon who suggested it could be an anal fistula. Been for pre-op as consultant/registrar recommended to have investigations under GA. +\- seton.

Really pleased after going back and fourth to GP who initially diagnosed me with piles!! And had me back and fourth lots. 

Been for pre-op so GA and investigations should be soon however very very anxious as for the past two weeks it’s giving me no issues at all, no pain, minimal bleeding when wiping, very occasionally it’s weeping. 

Is this normal?

Should I mention this on day of surgery?

Really anxious it’s nothing??? 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello dannielle6,

Fistulas can go through periods of activity and inactivity depending on the level of infection, etc. You should definitely have a fistulotomy if it is a simple fistula and assuming you do not have Crohns or any other disease that would impair healing. I had an abscess 4 years ago the quickly became a fistula; I had surgery for the fistula immediately and this resulted in fewer complications. If you wait it out the fistula could eventually become more complex and much more difficult to eradicate. It is imperative to have a CRS (colo-rectal surgeon) conduct the fistulotomy. Do you have any idea what could have caused the fistula? Chronic constipation/straining is one potential cause and I suspect prolonged holding in bowel movements is also another potential cause. Fistulas associated with diseases (most notably Crohn's disease) might require different treatment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.