really bad ankle swelling .pins needles.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi i have really bad ankle swelling . pins needles .in feet . skin that looks like beri beri .on legs just above ankle . . but could taking magnesium . methylfolate & B2 riboflavin be an alternative than amlodipine . mthr is that what causes high blood or does it cure ??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

i hope you've seen a doctor about the swelling. When i had those symptoms it turned out to be a DVT, unrelated to norvasc.

• Edited

hi seen cardiologist & no it is definitely because of amLodipine , i have had a stress test a month ago plus scan , and next friday go back to evaluate what to do next , he thinks it is left ventricle thickening of my heart , i have had a dvt about 20 years ago in left leg due to being cramped on a air flight . but this is both ankles , i promised him i would not stop taking the amlodipine until then . thanks for your reply USRyder, i will get back to patient next week with what happens next .

• Edited

Hi just forgot to say , when having stress test , a nurse doing the scan , then another nurse injecting with something to make heart go faster , but in another room next door at the hospital was a hospital cardiologist monitoring on her screen , when test was over , the cardiologist came to see me , her words Its all normal your test.

• Posted

All I can say is that after a very serious reaction (hospitalised) to amlodopine after only two 5mg tablets I started taking one 100 mg of magnesium and a small glass of beetroot juice a day. That was 8 months ago and I have no further blood pressure problems. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN AMLODOPINE. I thing it should be banned.

• Posted

Amlodipine causes a lot of side-effects, and any BP med can cause some swelling by fluid retention (unless that med is a diuretic BP med that fixes fluid retention!), but ankle swelling can also be a symptom of cardiac problems.

There are dozens of different BP meds across several categories, there are nutritional ways to address it, magnesium and electrolytes need to be balanced. If you're overweight then that's a biggy. If you're not getting exercise that's a biggy.

Get your weight down on a better diet plus exercise, and a lot of BP and fluid retention issues are going to be fixed. But, if you already have a heart issue, reviewing it with a doctor is going to be critically important, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.