Really bad anxiety during THAT time of month.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry guys, but I just had to ask the girls about this. 

Do any of the girls in here notice their anxiety alot worse during their period? I've been noticing this alot lately and it's terrible. I get this internal shaking/twichy feeling, hot flashes, dp/dr, and all together it just feels like I'm going crazy. Anybody else experiance this? 

I keep worrying this is not just anxiety. sad 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emilia,

I just wrote a detailed reply and posted it - but the internet dropped out and lost it so my PMT anxiety has just incresed!!

I don't know how old you are (I am nearly 51 and getting peri menopause symptoms) but you are in no way alone.

Fluctuating hormones at various times of our lives can cause a whole raft of symptoms and, since joining this site, I have been surprised at how many women start getting menopausal symtpoms such as the hot flushes as early as in their 30's - and as late as their 60's and 70's - oh deep joy!

My periods have been pretty much as regular as clockwork, to the day, but this month's is at least 8 days late and my mood swings, bloating, indigestion and anxiety have been so much worse. I found a lovely, peaceful programme the other night on BBC4, called "All Aboard! The Canal Trip" and I was entranced for the whole 2 hours of the real-time canal journey with natural sounds and no commentary or music. I actually felt my tension subside and my heartbeat slow and quieten. I can fully recommend it!

My anxiety hit the roof again yesterday, though - it's a real rollercoster. You will find so many women of all ages in the Menpause forum in particular, all reporting increased anxiety and depression around period time, whether or not a bleed actually occurs.

Sending a reassuring hug from a fellow sufferer x

• Posted

Hi, and thank you for your detailed reply. I guess I should have added that I am 24 years old!! Are these symptoms still normal, do you think? 
  • Posted

Hello there I'm 50 and anxiety is off the scale for 2 or 3 day till my period begins but the last 2 months I have had no bleeding but still the symtoms x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should have mentioned that I am 24 years old. Not sure if this increased anxiety is normal. /: 
  • Posted

Hi Emilia,

At just 24 it does sound a little unusual to be so bad at period time. It might be a good idea to go and see your doctor. They should do blood tests to check various hormone levels around that time and see if there is too much of a drop in one or too high a spike in another.

I have only just picked up the phrase in your first post, "anxiety a lot worse", suggesting that you suffer with anxiety throughout the month and it's heightened at period time? I think it's as well to go and have a chat with your doctor to see if there is something going on with your system. The fact you are getting hot flushes / flashes at your age could point to some sort of hormonal imbalance. I believe thyroid problems can cause fluctuations in body temperature. Worth a try x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.