Really bad anxiety, struggling to cope with the physical symptoms :( how can this be normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had anxiety for close to 3 years now. It all started after an overdose. I took an overdose of sertraline, I had to stay over night at the hospital just so they can keep an eye on me and hooked me up to monitors. The day I stepped food out of the hospital I've suffered bad with panic and anxiety. I focus a lot on my heart and chest pains. I've seen so many doctors, had loads of ecgs, seen a cardiologist and had therapy everything is fine but I'm still struggling I don't believe that everything is fine. Each pain and each symptom is different every time, and each and every time is terrifies me. I find that I'm a bit obsessed with my chest, I'm always looking for any type of pain or discomfort and then I freak out but I can't stop myself. It's driving me crazy. I've been reading different forums for weeks and I think this could really help. I have the physical symptoms 24/7 and I'm having a panic attack every 20 mins some days. Is there anyone else that feels like this? Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Why am I so scared about having a heart attack.. Why do I get all these chest pains and why are they different all the time? I'm so scared and so fed up. It'll be nice to know I'm not alone.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I too have severe anxirty of the heart. And I mean severe.. Within the past 7 months I've been to the ER and doctors I'd say At least 40 times.. At least.. We have to kind of just try and realize that the doctors are specially trained to deal with medical issues, and accept the fact that if they say were fine, were fine.. Do you still take setraline? Maybe that's why your anxiety is so bad? Your overdose is something that can be prevented.. It is no longer in your system, they would never have sent you home without proper care if you needed more care.. I know its hard to believe (trust me, I post on here every single day lately looking for reassurance, so I wish I could take my own advice), but these physical symptoms are a form of our anxiety.. Please feel free to message me on here or even on Facebook if you have questions, want to compare symptoms so you feel more comfortable or even just want someone to talk to who understands.. But you are fine.

• Posted

If I could compare symptoms with someone it might make me feel a little better! 😃
    • Posted

I was exactly the same at the beginning, I was visiting doctors everyday to get myself checked out, sometimes I'd have paramedics because I couldn't come out of a panic attack, I panic because of the panic attacks and it's just one big circle it's ruining my life. I'm not on the sertaline anymore I'm on mirtazipine as I was too scared to sleep, I'd be in constant panic and spend most of the night waiting for a heart attack or something. Thank you so much it means a lot, ever since the overdose I've convinced myself I've done some damage and it's going to kill me.. I just can't seem to get out of that mind set. What kind of symptoms do you experience and are there any certain triggers? Cos mine just hits me.. I could be having the best time of my life and all of a sudden have some kind of anxiety symptom and then I freak out and I continue to freak out until I've been seen by a doctor sad it's hard!

• Posted

My main symptoms are heart palps, chest pain in random spots, a ton of times I'll have pain like at the rib area under my left breast. Basically any type of chest pain will randomly come and it always sets me off. Now I have an increased heartrate which my doctor wants to see me for today so of course I'm freaking out now.. I also have heart palps during sex sometimes so even that's been ruined lol

• Posted

If you take the time to browse through other discussions, you will see that your symptoms are the same as just about everyone else's. Doing this has helped many others put their problem in perspective.....you are one of over 20,000,000 people, just in the US with the same challenges!!! So, if what you need is comparison....it's there for you Abigail.wink

• Posted

Wow! I am so glad to find that there is someone out there that's going through the same thing as me. I am a 24 year old female and I've never had anxiety in my life until a gew months ago when I took to much Adderall and went into a bad panic at work. I thought I was overdosing. I never had a panic attack so I didn't know what was going on. I was soooo scared. Ever since that moment, I suffer from terrible health anxiety. Every single day! It's been a little better for the last few weeks bc i started on some medication called paxil which surprisingly helps a little. But before this, I was suffering everyday with annoying and scary symptoms. I had multiple panic attacks and went to the hospital multiple times. Like 11x in one month. Crazy! It was constant lump feeling in my throat, constant feeling of not being able to take a deep breath, cldnt yawn, headaches, vision problems, neck stiffness, weird pains throughout my body like in my arm or my leg or my back, chest pain and pressure, dizziness, brain zaps, cold sweats, sweating, shaking of hands, legs and arms, heart palpitations, burning in my chest, arms, back, legs. I'm ure there is alot more symptoms I can't think of now but the one thing that bothers me the most that I just don't know if it's a symptom of anxiety or not is at random times, even in the middle of a dead sleep, my whole body will get this weird sensation throughout it. It's like a dizzy feeling but it isnt just dizziness, it's like a numbing feeling but it's not just numbness. It is so hard to explain. But tjat is the one symptom that always puts me into a panic. Bc I dont know if it's an anxiety symptoms or not. It's never happened to me until my anxiety started so maybe it is. But this anxiety thing is the scariest thing ive ever dealt with. It pretty much runs my life now. It's like everyday I just wait for something to happen. I am terrified that I have a heart problem or a brain tumor. My newest thing is I'm always afraid I'm gonna choke when I eat. Its stupid. Why do people with anxiety always think they are gonna have a heart attack???? And is there a way to tell if your having a heart palpitation???? Like is there something you feel anywhere on your body and are they dangerous?

• Posted

It's awful isn't it, especially when you have no answered to why it's happening. And when it's happening everyday is exausting and all that's on your mind is anxiety. It's so scary.. How can all of these symptoms just be in our heads? Like how do we know the difference between a serious illness and anxiety because it's just as terrifying and that's why I panic myself, I always think what if it is something bad this time, what if it isn't anxiety. I also struggle with vision problems, pain down my neck and arms, shaky and unbalanced feeling, feeling like I'm out of my own body, confusion, dizzy (room spinning when drunk feeling), feeling like I'm falling into a black hole, hot flushes, chest pains sometimes sharp sometimes feels like someone is squeezing my heart, can't catch a proper breath, hurts my chest more to breathe, tingly feeling, burning rush through my body, palpitations etc.. I'm exactly on the same page as you I have so many questions and it's so hard to get the answer because it's so hard to explain and understand someone else. Everyone on here seems to be going through the same thing and it helps a little but I can't help but think 'what if' it's not just anxiety.

• Posted

I'm in this exact place right now. It's life consuming. I have all the same physical symptoms as you. I've convinced myself I'm having heart failure even tho I got tests done and I'm only 19. I'm sorry I can't offer much advice or information. Just know you aren't alone. I feel these every waking second and sometimes even dream about them. Just try to remember you're okay. You'll live through this.

• Posted

It all started when I was 19 too.. I'm 21 now and still trying it so hard to understand it all because it's different everyday. Different symptoms different thoughts racing through my mind. i tell my self everyday and some days it helps other days it sets of a new level of anxiety. It's just a never ending battle!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.