Really bad health anxiety right now

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm having a panic attack at the middle of the night in fear and I really don't know what to do at this point to calm down, but I noticed with one of my front teeth when I touch it with my finger, it moves around and feels loose and I'm freaking out, I have made a schedule with my dentist already, but I can't see them until January 26, but I can also hear my teeth clicking as well and I'm really worried that I will be losing one of my teeth one of these days before seeing my dentist and I can't sleep right now at all. Is it really loose or it maybe it just feels like it is, but I'm not sure. I have really bad health anxiety, I'm trying not to touch it anymore and leave it alone.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Loose teeth are most commonly the result of gum disease but can arise merely due to loosening of the ligaments and tissues that hold teeth firmly in place. A loose tooth, however, is not a cause for such extreme concern. Your dentist can support the tooth using a dental splint that will bind the affected tooth to your surrounding teeth until the tissues securing the tooth re-affix it in place. Although understandable, there is no need for significant anxiety due to the fact that loose teeth constitutes a very common occurrence.

You don't mention your state of dental health or whether you've been diagnosed with gum disease but there are treatments to successfully restore the gum tissues to a health state.

Clicking of the teeth can result from a loose tooth as well but more often arises from misalignment of the teeth. This can arise due to the positional variations of the teeth themselves or otherwise result from disorders such as Temporal Mandibular Joint disorder that often results in misalignment and itself can produce a clicking sound.

Anxiety can most certainly be difficult to withstand at times and this is particular true for persons with health anxiety, with thoughts becoming a runaway train of sorts that focus upon the worst possible reasons for symptoms that may arise. You're going to be fine and your dental worries are unwarranted to the degree being expressed. As a side-note, always let the dental office know that if a cancellation by other patients arise then you'd like to move your appointment ahead and be prepared to adjust your schedule accordingly. Matters regarding your loose tooth with turn out fine.

Best regards

• Posted

Thank you for explaining my concerns, I never had gum disease before, but when I have been checked out before by a dentist, they do say I have a lot of cavities which I get mostly almost every year, I'm not sure if cavities can cause a loose tooth to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised, thank you for the reassurance, I appreciate it. I'm able to get an earlier appointment for this week coming up, so I'm really relieved about that. Just trying to distract myself for now and not panick about it too much, until I see my dentist this Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.