Really bad pain 5 months out

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! Just wondering if it's normal to still be in bad pain around a 6 or 7 ... 5 months after a TKR. Not only am I in severe pain at times... I have bad sweeping all the way down to my foot. Saw surgeon a week ago.. concerned with swelling and am now wearing a compression knee high at night. My PT says this is not normal.. I am still limping which is now affecting my right hip. Regretting having it done. sad Appreciate any input. My next step is to demand an ultrasound!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

These are the things that drive everyone a little crazy. It may be you are overdoing it and trying to move to fast. Take a few days off from all major activity. Then start slowly found leg lifts and then ice, elevate and do the other things including increasing you hydration a lot. When you walk, walk slowly, touching your heel, toe and bend while using the full stride. Rest more than usual but continue the basic exercises. Get back on pain meds if your Dr allows and add antiinflammatories. This may take time so don't try and rush things.

• Posted

Thanks! I've actually been taking it slow because I've been in so much pain. My surgeon actually is squeezing me in Monday morning because my swelling us so bad. Ugh!

• Posted

I had TKR Dec 2015. Therapist manually bent my knee and I have been in pain to the point I could not out weight on the knee. Burning and swelling and it would literally be hot like fire. Orthopedic doctor told me he did not like follow ups, like I did. So just tonight I searched on the Internet and came across a video that help with stretching the IT band. My leg was stiff and hurt like heck. Omg, it worked. My leg had been hurting from the mid thigh to the outside of my knee so bad. Even at times the hip hurt. This exercise has at lease cut down on some of the pain in one day. All this time, and my doctor refused to send me back to therapy so I had to seek for answers myself. And he thinks I'm going to let him operate on the other knee. I don't think so. Hope this give you some kind of hope. I was better off not having the surgery. Oh well, I'm determined to beat this monster.

• Posted

Hi Clara - can you share the website for the video. I am having a similar problem. Hope you continue to feel better. J-21370
    • Posted

I feel ya! I regret having it done! Fortunately I'm still OR when I can stand it!

• Posted

Doesn't sound right. Did you stick to a lot of rehabilitation physical therapy earlier on, i.e. does your PT think it is soft tissue related?

• Posted

I did have physical therapist earlier and no soft tissue was ever mentioned. He only concentrated on me being able to bend the knee and walk on it. After that goal was accimplished, I was handed some exercises and discharged. The really bad pain came ate I was released. It was then that I kept noticing that the leg was getting stiff and tho being and swelling and burning, and fire red. The doctor had blood work done to look for infection, I was never contacted concerning the lab work so I guess I was to assume there was no infection. I knew something was causing the pain but no help from the dr who did the surgery. I had to search on my own. Almost 2 years and I did not think I should still be in pain. I will try tomorrow and see if the pain is still gone. But this evening, first time that I could put pressure on the leg without being in pain. I even by passed taking a pain pill tonight. Thank you Jesus.
    • Posted

I am still in PT.. she is unsure but is concerned. My surgeon is squeezing me in Monday am before seeing his other patients. The swelling is concerning... I hope nothing is wrong.
  • Posted

I'm at 4 months and if I overdo it my knee will hurt like heck in some of the weirdest places.  Make sure you ice and elevate and by elevation not a recliner but have your leg high above your heart.  Swelling really wreaks havoc on the knee.  I can just imagine the arguments the joint has when there's not enough room in the joint because of swelling.  "Hey move over, your on my side of the knee.  well, you started it, give me some room, will ya". I imagine the voices sound like Our Gang.  

Hang in there and listen to the advice from this board, things could turn around for the better very quickly.  

• Posted

Yep, I am just about 4 months out, and though pain minor and not frequent, it happens when i overdo things, which is too tempting to resist because my new knee works so well! 😁

• Posted

If you're limping and either threw your back out of alignment or locked your SI (sacroiliac) joints, you could be experiencing some sciatica if the pain is shooting down your leg.  I encountered it at 5 weeks post-op; took a chiropractor about 3-4 weeks to make it all go away.

You're still less than 6 months out so some swelling can still occur if you overwork the knee on any given day...same for the pain.  If you are NOT overstressing the knee, then, yes, it's unusual to have that level of pain 5 months post-op.  Unusually but not unheard of.

Eight months post-op, I developed severe sciatica down BOTH legs.  Turned out to be spinal stenosis at L2/L3.  Put an end to my rehab and didn't have the fusion to fix it for almost 5 months.  Now, I'm 3 months post-spine fusion and only getting back to rehabbing my knee.  See?  All sorts of crazy things can happen...

Least invasive: See a chiro and discover if the pain is as simple as an SI/alignment issue.  I say this because it's unusual for the new knee to give you pain of that level this many months later from hip to foot.  Worst case: bone spur or impingement of the sciatic nerve at L4/L5 requiring a laminectomy to fix it. (Yeah...had one of those too...)

Again, if this is hip to foot pain, I'd look at the sciatic nerve and what's pinching, impinging, or irritating it.  Just may not be the knee...especially if your ortho sees nothing wrong on an x-ray and MRI.

• Posted

Update... the swelling has gotten worse as has the pain. I talked to my surgeon's nurse yesterday who is now concerned about a possible blood clot due to the severe swelling.. as well as possible other issues due to the pain.. So fortunately my surgeon is squeezing me in Monday AM before seeing his other patients. She told me to go straight to the ER if any clot symptoms arise. So over this!!

Thanks for all of your responses! I appreciate it!

• Posted

UPDATE #3 - - My surgeon was able to squeeze me in this morning due to my increased swelling and pain. Took X rays and fortunately everything looked good.. I fell a few weeks ago so I was worried I knocked something out of place but all good... cement not broken and new knee looks good. I think I insulted my surgeon when thanks to my husband who brought it up and then forced me to finish asking about the possibility of a wrong size knee being used... he gave me a look and pointed to the xray assuring me he used the right size. He then went on to tell me that the next step is ruling out an infection which all's for a day at the hospital for blood tests.... white blood cell tests and scans. I asked what happens if there is an infection.. and without hesitation.. he said it would have to come out! I immediately started crying... at the mere thought of doing this all over again.Now I'm waiting to get this thing scheduled... Ugh!

• Posted

People who have had TKR's shouldn't jump at anything, including conclusions. I've had 2 infections so I can speak to the difficulty. I've also had a couple of falls without negative results

• Posted

People who have had TKR's shouldn't jump at anything, ESPECIALLY TO conclusions.  You are so dead on...

• Posted

Ah yes...leave it to a make believe Texan with a Brooklyn Accent to use the proper word to help out this flatlander from Kansas.

Thanks...BTW., has all the ice and snow melted down there yet?

• Posted

Haven't seen any for almost 7 years.  My hip thanks you, my knee thanks you, my back fusions thank you.  It would have been hell on earth in Joisey...  Now I just have to find a new band since I can carry my basses, amps and cabs again...

• Posted

So am I freaking over nothing? He point bank said if I have an infection the knee has to come out! I have been on pins and needles waiting for the hospital to call so that I can get theses test started! I really don't know if I can go through all of this again!

• Posted

The chances are very slim its infected. I just can't imagine the lack of professionalism the guy has by tossing something like that out in such a cavalier fashion. While it may may be true, its terrible to make a one in a million assumption and put you into a state of trauma. I fell a week ago tomorrow and landed on my my bad knee and shoulder. I had a 2 gallon water can full watering so.e flowers and caught my toe. I landed with all 200 lbs plus on my bad side. I saw my surgeon today for N annual checkup and told him. He said watch it for unusual swelling and pain and dropped it. No panic, no concern, at least on the surface. Believe me, I've been through this twice and I know what its like but I also know how small are the chances. You hang in there. You have a big family out here in your corner pulling for you. If it comes back positive ill walk you through the process but I sure wouldn't discuss it till then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.