Really bad period pains what can I do

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer with really bad pains, I'm 16 only started getting these pains for 2 years nearly, before that my pains were just mild, now I literally can't do anything, bleed hevy for 7 days, my period is in regular, my pains are that bad I literally can't sleep I'll be lucky if I get 30 minutes sleep each day for 7 days, I feel sick, light headed and feel like I'm going faint, my pains literally do not go, I'm in tears most the time but that only makes it worse, painkillers don't do anything but actually make it worse in fact, my parents know how much pain I'm in but just says "it's normal period pains ever girl goes through it" I've had my period for 6 years but only started getting these really bad pains for 2 years so I highly doubt it's normal, I get really bad back ace, I feel so weak like I can't move can someone please tell me what I can do to help like please I'm in so much pain right now! Thankyou x

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through this!  I suffered for many many years with endometriosis before I finally was diagnosed.  Your pain definitely sounds like endometriosis.  I would talk to your mom, do your research on endometriosis and ask her to make you an appointment with your OBGYN.  Endometriosis is very common, and causes a lot of pain.  The only true way for them to diagnose you with endo is by doing exploratory surgery.  I know t sounds scary, but it's not as scary as it sounds.  I promise.  They may decide not to even do surgery and just try you on medication or maybe even birth control pills to see if it lightens or stops your period.  Just be very careful if they suggest Lupron because that is the one medicine they really push.  It has a lot of side effects.  If you do take any medicine, just be very mindful of any mood changes and body changes.  And if you don't like the medicine, don't be afraid to tell them you need to try something else.  I hope you find the answers and the help you need to get you feeling better. 

• Posted

Hi Kiarah

Sounds like a really rough 7 days every month, which just happens to be 1/4 of each month & year.

I don't know what causes your pain but i do know this:  it is not normal.    It might well be endo, but i am going to hope & pray that it's something that's quickly curable instead.

The surgery the other poster referred to is called a laparoscopy, which is down with one or 2 very small incisions around your navel for doc's to insert cameras, etc.  It's always done as day surgery in the States so you don't stay the night.  They pump some inert gas inside you, to puff up tge area to make it easier to see & maneuver inside you.  You, of course, would be under some degree of anesthsia.  Wuite often, tge worst part of tge whole thing is getting that gas out of your system afterward!

All that said, it takes a while lot to get docs/ surgeons/consultants to do a laparoscopy, "lap" for short, on someone your age.  And as the other poster said, docs may try you on meds first.  Please note that if there are mood changes, those sometimes pass after a couple of months.  But you need to keep track of them, as she said.

Which brings us to:  you have to get the adults at home & in med offices to pay attention.  First, start keeping  a symptom journal:  when you're in pain, how long it lasts; how many pafs/tampons you need every day ( not embarrassing, this is a natural function!); ways you try to help yourself & whether they work.  Some women find heating pads helpful; some of us find it helpful to lue down on a tile, linoleum or wooden floor to chill our whole bodies down.  Of course, it's a lot easier for a woman of 25 not living at home to get away with this!  But feel free to show this to anyone who sees you, & explain that cooler temperatures for the whole body help calm down everything, including pain signals.  Anyway, write down meds that you try, also.  ESPECIALLY NOTE WHEN YOU'RE AWAKE AT NIGHT!  This is vital.  If you're still in school, make an appointment to see the counselor & take along your symptom diary.  Make sure they see how little you sleep  ("1 a.m., off computer & tv since 11, still can't sleep.  2 a.m. in so much pain, still not asleep)  Be prepared:  you'll hear lectures about how you're not sleeping because you're texting/snapchatting/ gameplaying all night. 

You might also try some herbal teas such as chamomile, honeybush, and tension tamers.  They can help both with getting you to sleep & just a tad with pain.  Make note of what you try & if it helped, even for just an hour.

The point of seeing the counselor is to get some adult somewhere on your side.  I'm hoping the counselor is a woman as that is  easier all the way around.

Do you have a close friend or 2 who knows what you're going thru?  That is a blessing when we have a friend who cares & understands that you're pain is so much worse than hers.  She can't do much more than listen, but that's helpful.

Work on these things.  If you can make a doctor's appointment  on your own, well and good.  If not, we've got to convince your parents that something is not right.  Explain to them exactly what happens in endo:  uteran cells live in places outside of the uterus (for reasons yet unknown).  Every month those cells go through the same cycle as the one inside your uterus.  BUT for these misplaced uteran cells there's no vagina as a way for the blood to exit your body.  It's stuck inside you where it shouldn't be, and that causes SO much more pain.

I know this is a lot but you are a strong and intelligent young woman.  Get started and know that we're always here for you.

Aitarh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.