Really bad shortness of breathe with cold ! starting to panic

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm so scared I feel so short of breathe I'm. Having to breathe through my mouth constantly my cheeks are starting to feel tight is I feel like iv been running iv been like this for the past couple of hours and I feel nausea now I'm so scared I'm going to proper struggle to breathe and that it I will be gone it's hard to block these feeling out my legs are tensing and I can hear myself breathing which is even worse I feel I'm hyperventilating even though im not my breathing just feels fast and weird I aren't having a panic attack yet I'm trying to calm myself down before I do end up having one because if I do I'm scared that I really won't be able to breathe 😢

I'm petrified the doctor said it doesn't happen like that you don't just stop breathing but then i thought you can struggle to breathe and then stop breathing though that's it my head is on one I haven't seen a doctor about this cold but I feel now I should of because I'm so scared I know I post a lot about breathing ect but I guess that's where my health anxiety is aiming at breathing problems ect I just don't get how a cold can make you feel you can't breathe properly and I feel so alone because I don't know anyone else that is having breathing problems from a cold and iv ran out of inhaler so can't take that for resurrence

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Try to seconds of breathing in, and 4 seconds of breathing out!
  • Posted

Steph you are feeling really anxious right now.  It's normal to not be able to breath your nose when you have a cold as I'm sure you know.  The breathlessness thing is a very common anxiety issue with all of us here.  I also have alot of breathing worries in my head sometimes so I get what you are feeling.  Remember to ground yourself, bring yourself back to the room you are in.  If something was going to happen it would have by now it's been a couple of hours of this feeling for you.  You are gonna be fine, you just have a nasty cold lovey.
    • Posted

I do know I sound crazy but iv have had so many colds like they are attracted to me and my weak immune system 😊 but this fear of breathing problems ect is really brewing on this and I just feel drained like tiered of breathing if that makes sense maybe I'm controlling it I don't know but anyways thank you for your reply and yessss! ! That has helped me so much with you saying about the breathless with anxiety sufferers thanks hun x
    • Posted

Even now even though I@m on meds and feel great every now and again I will get that breathlessness feeling and I have to remind myself i'ts just anxiety.  I don't actually have health anxiety although I have had in the past suffered from that also.  But it is a really common symptom of anxiety, it's probably the first thing to go with me when I feel bad.
    • Posted

Thank you it has calmed me down a lot and really helped I have gad but this health anxiety is hitting harder then any other it's sad really I know anxiety causes breathlessness I can write it and think it but it does not sink in x
    • Posted

I know i'ts really hard.  I can be sensible about it now but back in February this year when I started (again) with anxiety I was beyond all sensible words helping.  Realistically I knew what it was but there is always that little part of your brain that tells you "what if?".  Are you on any medication to help?  I have been this way since I was 18 (now 40).  I am fairly sensible and used to my way of thinking but have been on and off anti D;'s since 18.  It always blows my mind that no matter how many times I have suffered with this that every time it still blows out of control for me.  I knew when it started in Feb it was just anxiety, I say JUST but it's crippling.  I couldn't even take my kid out of the house without being in a sheer panic, lost tons of weight, I managed work every day but it was sheer hell.  I was sobbing with frustration and sheer fear every day then after a few months deep depression set in and that really scared me.  I found myself really not wanting to be here, not that I was going to kill myself but just the thought of not wanting to live if this is all it is.  I started Citalopram in July, it took a good long time to really do it's full trick.  I got better very slowly but by mid October I really felt back to my real self. Like I say I still have the odd moment, it's deeply ingrained I think but all in all I truly feel good.
    • Posted

That's amazing how you have just wrote exactly me but I'm younger lol I'm now 22 so I know I have always had it but I have tried ciatrpram and I had a really bad reaction well I say bad because I had one of the worst panic attacks off it and my arms and chest and neck had this like feeling acid was in them it was scariest side effect but I have had the feeling as though I couldn't do anything really bad depression and I too have small children now and I feel I'm letting them down with all this I'm really great full for your post to me cause it really has helped me see that it's anxiety I can get through this thank you xx
  • Posted

If u are congested with the cold it can cause ur chest to feel tight which will also make u feel like it's hard to breath, try Vicks vapor rub on ur chest to open u up or u can get mucinex which will clear out any mucous trapped in ur chest or nose
    • Posted

Thanks hun iv tried vicks it has not worked guess I will have to get a steamy bowl ready x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.