Really basic question

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have mild arthritis in both thumbs, but especially my right. My question is: on bad days, should I still do things I really want to, that hurt – specifically knitting! – will that exacerbate the condition, or should I rest the joint and hope for a less painful day?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Take a break for awhile just until it calms down. Knitting how wonderful...it's the constant repetition of the joint causing osteo...I have it in hands and both thumbs and believe me thumbs can be very painful. Time to slow down and take time to care for those joints before no return from constant pain. It's tough to give up things we love to do, giving up painting was tough and other crafts. It was worth in the long run now I can do it all again .

I love gardening and clippers and that was the biggest enemy of thumb injury causing osteo. I wore a custom made thumb brace to keep it still long enough to heal . Ask for physical therapy. Your doc my try cortisone injection, never helped mine...

Hot wax hand spa with lavender oil is heaven to relax painful hands. Important to take the time now... away from joint stress and give you a break from the pain and further damage...try not to do things that cause pain just for awhile to see if it calms down. This can solve future damage and its the swelling causing pain ...It will help give you relief and heal also preventing future damage . Remember soft tissue damage and joint damage take time to heal.

I can do some clipping , painting , and crafts again but taking care not to over do causing more damage to the joints. I'ts been over 10 years thumbs a bit distorted but no pain if I take care and practice "Mindfulness" and plan ahead for activities , limit time as its important to take care of all our joints, and not to over do or put joints at risk once we know the cause. Hopefully they can last longer without further the complications.

• Edited

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply, Barbara. I will try and resist the knitting for a while, although it is one of the things that keeps me sane during these long evenings. I am glad to say I do have a physio appointment soon, so I will see what they advise too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.