Really confused???

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello again, I know that I post way too much but lately I have been without meds since both my doctors (family and endrycologist) don't know what is going on with me and I am extremely confused and disappointed with both of my doctors! I was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroiditis about 2 months ago. I had ultrasound done due to thyroid nodules (no biposy). The hospital I went to gave me my results and told my doctor that I have possibility of hashimoto's thyroiditis. I had my blood test done but never seen my results. My doctor called me after few weeks told me that I have hypothyroidism and gave me Levothyroxine. I took levo for only 2 days because it caused me having bad migraines and left lung pain. After that I was send to endrycologist and had my blood test done there. She gave Synthroid (low dosage) that didn't agree with my body, once again migraines and bad left lung pain.I took it for only 1 day. Saw her again today, my blood test came really weird my T3 levels were 215.69, normal range is 80-200. My TSH is 2.56 and fT4 is 1.2 normal is (0.89-1.0)... so what does it mean? Am I hyperthyroidism now? Do I even have hashimoto? I am really confused now. I feel like I am going crazy at the moment.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, this does seem confusing. Nodules indicate Hashimoto's disease, in general. Often times, this is diagnosed by ultrasound, particularly if the TSH isn't very elevated, but there are other indicating symptoms.

From what you say, your T3 and T4 levels are slightly high. This isn't a huge concern and is probably a temporary spike.  Depending on your condition, this could be intentional because some people feel better on the meds when the thyroid levels are at the top range of normal or even slightly above. However, It takes about three months for blood levels to regulate following a change in meds. So if you test before three months, it's a way to get an idea if you're on the right track, but you generally get a somewhat spiked result before the three months. 

Your TSH looks to be in normal range, but most people feel better when the TSH is at 1 or below.

You also have to consider symptom relief. This is where a good endocrinologist  comes in. They will consider your symptoms along with your blood levels. How are your symptoms? How do you feel? Do feel like you're improving? Staying the same? Worse? Are the side effects of the meds worse than the disease, or are you getting overall improvement? I'm not clear if you're still on the meds or not..? 

Frankly, the wonky blood work is pretty typical with thyroid disease. It's extremely difficult to regulate, has a lag time of three months with med changes. And to top it off, Thyroid disease is just plain difficult to diagnose because even if you're hypothyroid, your body's efforts to compensate for low thyroxin can sometimes result in temporary periods of hypothyroidism. 

Lastly, just a consideration, but I've been looking at some information about caffeine and diet sodas, and suspect my wonky blood results may be exacerbated by changes in consumption of these two food items. A lot of hypothyroid patients will go up and down with ciffee and caffeinated sodas as a way to keep energy levels up. While this is totally understandable, it just adds another variable into the mix.

So yes, thyroid disease is super confusing! Also keep in mind that low T4 levels can often result in brain fog, so the confusion is often compounded by the disease!

Sounds pretty much like normal thyroid disease process. I sure you'll find other posts with similar questions. I'd recommend reading through the thyroid posts here to get an understanding of what other people have experienced.

• Posted

I have been feeling very low lately. Fatigue, I take at least 2 to 3 naps during day and sleep all night, hair loss, weight gain.

I am not taking meds at the moment because synthroid and levothyroxine doesnt agree with me at all.

I am going to do paleo diet for 6 months just to see if my symptoms improve.

• Posted

Try the deit my fiancee was on high protein but none of the following 

cabbage

carrots 

cauliflower

broccoli

turnips

you see hassimotos disease is what the immune system is attacking tyour thyroid so you need to stop them foods as they boost the immune system you need to lower the immune system so the protien will go to and fix your cells and this will also fix you thyroid!

My fiancee had this same problem but the Meds didn't give her migraine headaches but this has fix the problem and now her weight and thyroid are all fine this took just 4-5 weeks she was going to have to go for a biopsy but when the doctor seen the results of her bloods his eye lifted and said that's good no thyroid problem now stop taking the Meds she is still fine and her weight is within her normal range now first time since she was 18-20 years old and she is now 40! 

Best Regards,

james.

• Posted

Yes, diet is really important.myoubalso need to get enough protein, limit grains, go glutenfree. 
    • Posted

Thank you, I am going on diet this Monday. Trying to do paleo for 6 months just to see if anything improves. I hope it does.
  • Posted

Hi Agata

Your levels are not out of balance.

Any time you see -itis you translate as inflammation of. Perhaps you had some inflammation which has resolved?

Also Levothyroxine is manufactured with a plus or minus tolerance. Synthroid has no tolerance.

Perhaps another blood work up to see if you have stabilized.

kind regards

,judith

• Posted

Hello there,

That's what I am really confused. My dr said she doubts I have some thyroid disease but I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. She also makes me do another blood test but is only tsh and free t3 and t4.

I also have some nodules and they assume that I might have hashimoto's. Should ask for more test to be done?

• Posted

Just use the diet about it worked for my fiancee she was over weight and she couldn't shift this weight and now after been on the diet for only 4-5 weeks now she eat her normal deit and has lost the weight and is feeling better now than she has ever felt, she is back to the weight she was when she was 18-20 years old she is now 40! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.