Really Confused about When I am in AF

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am a 57yo male recently diagnosed with AF - I say recently although it started 4 months ago and I have been in Resus' 9 times since then with HB up to 193. I am still waiting to see a cardiologist and my GP just keeps saying its only AF and put me on Warfarin. I have done research and understand what AF is and the risks but although I understand it I am not sure when I am in it. Reading these forums many people say I had an episode last year or I have them every 3 months but like I say I have had 9 fast AF episodes in 4 months - is it fast AF people refer to when talking about AF. In addition to fast AF everyday I have Palpitations and Flutters although my HB is low and seems steady - is this AF?  I also have episodes when my HB is low but clearly erractic and also episodes when the heartbeat is erractic and the HB seems to vary from 60-100 beats and is not constant. I have had 16 episodes like this in the last 4 months but is this just an irregular HB or is this also AF?  These episodes are always when I get up in the morning and for some reason all my fast AF episodes have been when getting into bed or within 5 minutes of getting into bed - it seems to be connected with lying down.  The biggest problem for me is dizziness regardless of what my heart rate is and this has led to some distressing incidents when out and about which now makes me anxious about going out and even led to a few panic attacks - of course all these fed's the Af and the AF feeds the anxiety.  Apart from Warfarin on no medication at all - I always self revert from fats AF as well - the longest in took was 2 hours and the quickest 20 minutes. Sorry if my questions seems daft I am just a bit confused by what others actually mean by AF. Thanks.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Andy, yes it does mean we stay safer from the stroke situation. I am diabetic too which means that they are very keen to sort it out and a few finger prick tests in the beginning sounds better than the other option. So no side affects wtih the the Warfarin then and you are happy to carry on with it rather than change?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.