Really feeling down do to losing my voice all the time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with LPR I don't suffer with many typical symptoms but find I can suddenly just lose my voice which I find quite hard because I talk a lot in my job role.

This as become a major problem for me if I raise my voice for any reason that's it my voice goes and it can be gone for up to 2 days ;if I drink alcohol or go away with friends for a few days it's gone the next day which Is so frustrating.

I have been prescribed omprazole 20mg capsules and I am going to see my GP next week for the first time since being diagnosed can you suggest any medication that might be able to help please

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. LPR and LES are similar. It all concerns acid reflux . I had a Hiatus Hernia and that caused the acid to flow up into my throat and burn my larynx and oesophagos so badly that I had a constant hoerse voice and was always clearling my throat. As I "used to " sing in a rock band, I was devaststed at the loss of my voice as it also lead to me not playing the guitar anymore.

I am a week into recovery from a Nissen procedure and can tell you I feel wonderful. All that bad stuff is gone and my voice is coming back. If you need the procedure, DO IT!

Other mesd for acid afte Ommeprazole are Ezemeprazole which is considerably stronger and Ranitidine.  Then there is also a Gaviscon special liquid that is only available on prescription. 

Good luck

• Posted

Can you tell me please, after the op are you on a special diet for any length of time and do you still have to take medication, if so for how long? . Hope you don't mind me asking you, Thank you.

• Posted

Hi The dietary recommendations vary greatly and from person to person but yes, there are guidelines to follow. But th emain thing is to be sensible.

Stage 1 After surgery - only clear liquids until you feel no discomfort swallowing.

Stage 2 - Once you can swallow with ease you can eat pureed or sloppy foods......i,e, blended with no bits in them.

Stage 3 -  If you are ok on Stage 2 for at least 5 days then slowly introduce "normal food" BUT in small pieces and chew very well,. 

This will go on until you are totally comfortable which can be between 2 weeks and 6 months.

I have just been very fortunate that everything has gone so well.

In spite of that I am only introducing normal foods stage 3 on Sunday - 10 days after th eop.

As for meds.....the Dr told me to continue for 5 days and then see. I stopped all acid meds on day 5 and have not had a problem at all. It is a blessing!

Ant questions just ask.

Regards

• Posted

Many thanks for replying to me that was very helpful, hope everything continues well for you in your recovery.
    • Posted

Thanks for The info glad to hear all going well for you hopefully you will be singing again soon

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.