Really itchy ears

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, my partner has had an issue with initially one ear, but now it's both, it started after having COVID, it's basically extreme itchiness in the east canal, it's not sore other than with the constant itching, she has constant ringing in her ears and loud noises hurt, recently she's started getting dizzy occasionally. Also there's a milky substance that she gets at night/morning that dries brown on the pillow and the itchiness literally keeps her up all night. The doctor gives her a spray for the infection which works for a week or two then it comes back. Has anyone had anything similar or would know what it might be? It's driving her mad. Thank you for reading. Any help would be very grateful!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I have similar symptoms to this. Doctor gives me Otomize spray or similar, which clears it for a while but it keeps returning. It's a constant itch that can get painful at times. I'd recommend asking your doctor's surgery for an ear swab. I've just had this done and found that I have a heavy yeast infection in my ears. This requires different drops. I can't comment on how effective the drops are as I haven't started on them yet. If your partner hasn't had an ear swab, it might be worth it to rule out a fungal infection. Good luck!

• Edited

Hi. How is she doing now?

I don't know how old she is.....but a possible cause could be perimenopause/menopause.

If she is at that stage of life...just Google perimenopause/menopause and effect on ears. It definitely causes itching, hearing sensitivity, pain etc due to the drying up of mucus membranes.

Other than that, covid can affect the ears for sometime after the initial infection. It definitely did with me.

I'd go back to gp or see an audiologist.....possibly ask for ENT referal if nothing else works....as this isn't normal is it.

Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.