Really need advice - new to asthma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone. I have a few questions about asthma.

I'm fairly new to asthma, being diagnosed with it only a year ago. It was manageable until a few days ago. I had to go to ER cause I couldn't stand it anymore and my rescue inhaler was only doing the minimal. The ER doc just listened to my lungs and said they sounded ok but gave me 40 mg prednisone and said to use my rescue inhaler (Ventolin HFA) until I see my PCP.

**Here are my questions:

(I'd like to add that my asthma is due to allergies)**

1. Everytime I take a deep breath, I can hear mucus stuck in my lungs. Sometimes it can be coughed out (rare) but most of the time it's just in there. Is this part of asthma?

2. I don't cough very much. Here and there. Mainly after I have to use my inhaler a lot. Is that normal? I thought asthma made people cough?

3. I was given by my PCP a few months ago 2 different types of medicines. One is Singulair (oral pill) and the other is Arnuity Ellipta (inhalation powder). Have you tried either of these? I was going to start the Singulair tonight.

4. Is yours worse when lying down? I feel like everytime I lay down to try to sleep that it gets worse. At this point, I don't know if it's anxiety or real symptoms or both.

And any other advice anyone would like to offer?? I would be so grateful. I recently purchased an air purifier as I do have animals and one sleeps on a dog bed in my room and I know that's most of my problem is animal allergies.

Thank you!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Singular is good for me ,ask Dr. For different rescue inhaler, because it sounds like your present on has a propellant that may be irritating and causing cough and and other yuck feelings , like headache. I have used many different ones, but Ventolin works best for me. Take your allergy meds or do allergy shots for dog dander etc.. yes, laying flat is not good. If the attack is severe you may have to sit up with pillows in your lap until meds start working and you can gradually lay back somewhat.

once you have had bad day or days you become super-sensitive to everything.

It is better to not clean and dust until you are clear, Don't raise the dust, then use moist cloths to dust and wipe floors. Don't mess with dog bed anytime. Ask someone else to do it for you. I would say no pets in house or especially bedroom, but you know that, and it might be traumatic for you and him.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hello and yes allergies play a big part to my asthma and I take allergy pills regularly to help avoid episodes. I do that singular and I like it. And I find if my mucus is stuck in my lungs my inhaler works or so does musinex over the counter. And not everyone coughs like you think. I also have a air purifier its amazing how much dust etc it catches. 
  • Posted

Just thought of a few more things.Do you have a dehumidifier, Allergy free mattress cover and pillow cases with zippers? Dust mites are a problem as well as mildew and mold wash your shower curtain and and make sure all towels and washcloths are truly dry. Look into cleaning with vinegar ,water ,and essential oil scents and a little dish detergent. I'm experimenting with these for cleaners and air freshners, but I really am attached to my Clorox CleanUp....I sure hope you get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.