Really need advise please! Long story...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today I seen psych doctor.  I started at 25 mgs sertraline for 2 weeks then now been on 50 mgs for 21 days/. I still have anxiety stuff and he told me that If im still having side effects that this is the way it’s going to be and suggested I try celexa or remeron.  

I  am also dealing with mild ocd and ptsd. He said all the ssri treat the same things it’s just finding the right one and he does not think this one is right for me and most need about 150 mgs for anxiety relief.  I tried to explain to him what I’ve read here and he was so against me believing anything on the internet because most write about the bad things because if they are successful they just go on about their life/. I’m really so torn as what to do, I’m going to bed soon and I just don’t know if I should increase or decrease.  I don’t feel much on 50 mgs but feel anxiety daily still with a bit of relief mixed in but I know this dose isn’t going to be enough and I don’t want to go to 150 mgs then find out it doesn’t work still then go through all sorts of withdrawals.  Any advice???!!! Any?! 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

I understand so much that you dont want to either upped too much with no results or switch med.

First, you have done around 5 weeks on this one.

Have you seen some sort of improvement or is this just getting worse?

Maybe an increase at 75 or 100mg would be just enough!? No need to go to 150mg.

Have you ever tried other med before?

I really hope you fine good result and dosage. If I would be in your position, I would try to go to a bit higher dose amd see to really conclude and stop. Then you would really know.

Good luck

• Posted

So do you count from the first time you took it for the 6 to 8 weeks or each time you go to a new dose? I have been on the 50 mg since July 23 so August 23 will be four weeks so should I wait 6 to 8 weeks on this dose or do I count from the first day I took the first dose Which was 12.5 mg.?
  • Posted

I can tell you this much, I didn’t feel any different at all on 50mg after only three weeks. I was thinking about stopping all together but now I’m so glad I didn’t. Somewhere around the 5-6 week mark was when I started noticing a positive change and now at close to eight weeks I’m so glad I stuck with my 50 mg because it’s a night and day difference from my 21 day mark. Hope this helps 
    • Posted

This is what I am hoping for too but he said after this long of time and I have not seen any real results that not going to good this is as good as it’s going to get unless I am willing to go up to 150 mg for anxiety relief.    Some days I do see some results and other days I feel immobilized to go out again but then the next day I can be out again going places that I haven’t been to for a very long time so I feel in someway it is being helpful and then another Waze I’m still stuck. 
  • Posted

Same here. Two weeks on 25mg, 3 weeks on 50mg and no better. I did feel more relaxed and positive on 25mg and had much less muscle tension than I am having with 50mg. So I am thinking that maybe I should go back to 25mg, since my anxiety concerns clenching muscles.
    • Posted

You know I believe when I was on 25 I also felt better and I thought more would be better make me feel better but it hasn’t but some days it does I can’t say for sure it has not some days it doesn’t some days it doesn’t it’s confusing
    • Posted

I know, it really is. I felt better the last six days in a row on 25mg than I have been feeling on 50mg, except for maybe two or three days. I am three weeks on 50mg now and don’t know if I have to count from the dose increase or not. 
  • Posted

I feel for you Alf Alf

I have posted many times on here since I first started on sert. I too felt like I didn't know whether to increase or decrease because even though I had some good days most were awful until I reached 100mg.

That was my turning point. I'm now on 150mg and hopefully will not need to increase. I'm back at work after being off for 8 months ..I can leave the house..I've done a car boot sale..lol

I've been to a festival and I'm going away camping on Friday for a fortnight. Sert has worked for me. I'm not 100% ( whatever that is ,) but I'm getting there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

What does your GP say about changing meds or was if the psych doctor who started you on sert.

🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

• Posted

I’ve been on mirtazapine for 11 years and tried many other including setraline but only done 13 days and have gone back to mirtazapine as it has the least side effects 
    • Posted

Do you only reason I have not wanted to try Remeron is because it is notorious for weight gain and it is even given for people to gain weight. I am prediabetic and I can’t afford to gain any weight because it will mess up my blood sugar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.