Really need help on pip

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

my son turn 16, change from dla to pip . Had assessment and now just received letter on what he can claim .

he got dl but mobility reduced to 4 points. 

I need to appeal I know it goes to mandatory decision thing is one of his mobility q was wrong saying he can go unaided we didn't say that he need someone with him all the time. Which is why I got the mobility car especially for travelling. He will take far too long to get college. 

I really don't know what to do, was going to cab tomorrow and see what they say whether to appeal or not. The mobility car is God send for him. 

What do u think I should do?? Worrying sick mum 

1 like, 9 replies


9 Replies

  • Posted

    You get the best advice from cab , but you can call them and mention to them that he need help getting around ,but in your shoes will see cab first. Before calling them or appealing,take care 
    • Posted

      Yes he does need help getting around.

      im gonna see cab before i call the pip. 

      Thanks nadnad and u take care aswell 

  • Posted

    Are you saying that your son up to age 16 was receiving the highest rate for mobility of DLA - hence you obtained a Motability car on the strength of that award?

    If so, and as he has failed to get any award for mobility in PIP, what arrangements have you made for when the car will be taken back shortly?

    Yes your next option is to ask the DWP to look at their decision again (MR). If that fails (more than likely) then he will have to appeal to the courts so that they can look at the claim.

    That can take quite a while, hence (and assuming that the MR doesn't award enhanced mobility) why I have asked if you have put alternative arrangements in place for when the car goes back.  

    • Posted

      Yes he did get the highest rate on mobility on dla now changing to pip he only got 4 points for the enhanced mobility so therefore I will lose the car. 

      To be honest I really don't know what to do next in alternative arrangements, it would mean I have to get public transport (buses) but that mean I have to take my daughter to school then onto college very awkward journey. 

      My son cannot do that much walking and it will take to long to get to college for him. 

      Im looking at other options of obtaining a car but where else can I get help for it?? 

      Hardly slept last night.

    • Posted

      Hi Connor

      Unfortunately PIP is assessed differently from DLA on mobility grounds. DLA higher rate mobility was awarded if the claimant was in severe pain within 100 yards (a distance set by precedent  by a Judge) and you were deemed to be 'virtually unable to walk' even though the actual distance your walked was more than that.

      PIP uses different criteria. To score the maximum 12 points on mobility alone you either must be completely wheelchair bound or be able to walk a maximum of 20 meters.

      There are also points available for assistance due to mental illness and it sounds as though your son scored 4 points for this.

      You can score 8 points if you’re walking ability is restricted to 50 meters and if you got the 4 for MH assistance then you would hit 12 and get the mobility car.

      If as it sounds your son scored 0 points for actual walking then the assessor believes that your son can walk unaided for a distance more than 200 meters.

      Whether this was mentioned at the assessment or not doesn’t seem to matter if you look at how many times it happens. It also appears that the assessor’s opinion carries more weight than consultant reports.

      In your MR you need to state if your son has physical walking disabilities and whether they are 20 or 50 meters. If he has no physical disability then the chances of hit 12 points is very unlikely.

      However, go to the CAB and get a face to face opinion.

      Good Luck

    • Posted

      Good morning Anthony , I want to ask , I received my blue badge till 2020 you think the council contact the dwp or not? Thanks
    • Posted

      Hi Nad

      Not as far as I know. My understanding is the BB is issue for a fixed amount of time and then at the point of renewing you have to show prove why you should be entitled to a BB

      You don't actually have to be receipt of PIP/DLA/AA to obtain a BB. All you have to do is give enough evidence to warrant having one.

  • Posted

    Update went to cab they were another appt to see professional advisor who gonna help me to write for mandatory decision but that not till the 4th Nov and on the pip letter it posted 9th October so it gonna be really close 🙈 In the meantime I'm gonna get dr letter aswell yo support for my son hot another letter notability car goes back in the 24th Nov I'm going to see my notability dealer and see if I can get more time scale while I'm appealing it say I can't but certain circumstances they might.

    im feeling so sick to my stomach as I got something else that cam which I got to sort out.

    im stressing my whole family out!! 

    But thanks for your words and advice xx 


Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up