Really need help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

am currently on mirtazapine 15mg and take clonazapam .5mg in the morning

my psyciatrist wants me to start pregabalin tonight as im still so anxious all the time and especially in the morning.

ive been reading through some stories on here and am now really frightened of the thought of taking it any advice please im desperate

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Carl

I was on this drug and it actually caused me to suffer Anxiety (part of the side effects for me) when I was put on it for chronic nerve pain. It is being used off label to tackle Anxiety now along with many other health issues but recent studies show that although for some there is a decrease originally to their anxiety after several weeks it appears to compound it. As you seem to have a choice in the matter at this stage I think you should research a lot more about the side effects and withdrawals of Pregabalin - when you are better informed you will find it helpful to say Yes or No. In my opinion you would be better off not to take it at all. I suffered mental confusion, memory loss, balance and eye issues, anxiety and the list goes on when I was taking it. I took it for 3 years (now lost to me) and it took a long time to taper off it slowly. The withdrawals for me were as bad as the side effects. Now I am 3 months off it my anxiety has all but gone, my brain seems to be getting better and also my memory seems to be returning.

I do hope you are able to make the right decision for yourself and please keep us informed of how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Carl

I would agree with Elizabeth, if you can prevent it, dont take Pregabalin.

It messed me up and made the condition I was given it for (Opiate withdrawal, RLS, Anxiety) much much worse.

It made me confused, slurred speech, I couldn't concentrate or get my words right, terrible weight gain, glazed and sore eyes (my family stated I looked "wasted" all the time, I suppose I was) and also made me dependant on the drug also and the WD's are hell, living hell.

I was give the maximum does every day 600mg, (2 x 300mg daily) and I am now down to 50mg ( 2 x 25mg)per day and I stop next week, cant wait!

Trent

• Posted

Hi Trent

Well Done! I know your side effects and withdrawals well as you know. I know you haven't asked for any advice but I hope you don't mind me saying that the planned drop next week is a bit steep. Your brain has undergone massive changes and even though you are at a lowish level those final w/d's are absolute Hell, especially as you were on the maximum dose allowed. There is a video on You Tube called "Water Titration" - please watch it and use that method to come down the final 50mg, breaking it up into smaller and smaller doses until you feel well able to stop at say 5mg or even less a day. I know this extends your time on a drug that you can't wait to be free of, but I know from experience that the last 50mg are the hardest. Doctors I'm afraid do not realise this and because capsules come in 25mg size as the lowest they tell the patient to just stop. You have suffered enough my friend and I don't wish for you to go through more than you need to.

Just a ray of Hope as well, the weight gain does appear to come off after you are free. I have lost all the weight since I came off last October although I did have to change my diet for other medical reasons which may have helped as well.

Please let me know how you go and I wish you well and free.

Liz

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Yeah I know it was a bit steep in my reducing plan but I as comfortable doing it. I needed to do it . Had no choice. I took my last 25 mg 5 days ago.

The first few days were not all pleasant and I nearly went back on them but yesterday I woke up feeling excellent ! Today also. most of the horrid horrid wds have now gone and i hope it will get better now each day.

Will never take horrible drug ever again...

• Posted

You know yourself best and I hope you continue to improve day by day. Just a wee warning, the w/d's can reappear with a vengeance out of the blue - this is known as Windows and Waves. When the windows are open, the sun shines in but when the waves roll in so do the withdrawals. Eventually things even out, it takes time and understanding. At least if this does happen you will be prepared and know what is happening so that you don't give in and feel pressured to go back onto the drug.

May your windows always be open

Kind regards

Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.