Really painful neck

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, quick question.

Has anyone else experienced having a really painful neck whilst taking cit? Not sure if this is a side effect. Feels like all the muscles around my neck have tensed up.

Thanks x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth

I knew that would happen after mentioning a doctors (chiropractor) name.

I get stiff neck too but I've explained in my post x

• Posted

Thanks Lina, it's such a weird side effect! It needs to bog off.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

There is quite a of information on the net about this very thing, people complaining about stiff neck and shoulder muscles after taking citalopram. It's the first time I heard of this and it's very interesting to me because I have the very thing right now and I am blaming neck arthritis. I could never understand how if I am very early stages, I mean minimal, that I am getting so much aches and stiffness. Thanks so much Ruth for bringing this to my attention. x

• Posted

You're welcome hun...... this is a new side effect for me. Very strange. Am actually going for some acupuncture today, will see if that helps.

Gonna dig around on the web....

• Posted

Good luck with that, let us know how you get on x

• Posted

hi it has been know to happen if you r having side effects u tense up which can cause pain in your back or neck . It is probably more to do with the tensing up than the cit though

• Posted

Thanks Michelle. It's a really odd feeling, like a sharpness. It is there when I wake up, and most of the day..... very strange. Gonna get some body work to sort it out.

• Posted

Hi Ruth, I have started regular thai massages due to extremely stiff muscles including my neck. Its been a huge problem for me. I dont know if you remember but I ended up on crutches early last year because the cocktail of meds I was on masked the problem. My muscles everywhere have been so bad I struggled to walk at times, am improving but have a way to go. Massage and stretches help alot. I am in no doubt due to timing that meds have have been a factor, probably due to tensing of muscles over long period, with probably the menopause and age thrown in too.

• Posted

Thanks Paula, that's really helpful. Am going for some acupunc today, gonna mention it, and yes I do remember what you said about being on crutches. It's shocking!

By the way, got your text, yes to coffee, am just needing to wind my way back into work over the next couple weeks and then let's try to make a time 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.