really painful ribs

Posted , 9 users are following.

I started with a vomiting bug inthe early hours of yesterday. I slept for most of the day and forgot to take my pred. I fe

feel much better today apapart from really painful ribs. I was diagnosed with pmr a few months ago and fibromyalgia about 13 years ago. I have had rib pain regularly which I put down to the fibromyalgia. I think this flare is made worse by the retching (sorry) do any of you suffer from rib pain? The pain isn't at the sternum but on the sides going into the back. I can barely move at the moment and can't cough or laugh.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have both like yourself...fibro/PMR I don`t get the rib pain that you describe, but my sister does, who has neither.  She has gallstones...so not everything is down to our usual problems...it could be that...get it checked, if it dosen`t disappear...hope this helps...
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I had my gallbladder removed in 2009 so it's not that! The rib pain can last just a few hours to a few days, but this bout is worse than usual probably down to the retching.i started on 20mg pred and reduced after about 3 weeks to 15 I saw a huge improvement for a few months but about 8 weeks ago the pain was almost back to pre pred. My gp increased my dose again to 20 and I would say I'm about 40/50% improved pain wise but I don't know if the other 50/60% is due to the fibromyalgia. The other thing that confuses me is before I started on pred my knees which both had moderate osteoarthritis and were extremely painful(I often had to use a stick) are now pain free!!!! The pred also vastly improved my fatigue which you get with both fibro and PMR. I would love to get off pred as it has had a devastating effect on my t2 diabetes, I am now having to inject insulin twice a day. Pre pred I had perfect control woth just metformin. My gp is very resistant due to his concern with gca although I have never had any symptoms. I asked if he planned to refer me to a rheumy but he said he would manage my condition himself. Deb
    • Posted

It was three years ago this September that I got PMR...when I first went on pred (15mg) I felt like a new person in about 20years...I had no fatigue, and I had that thing they call energy!...(although I couldn`t sleep, did I care) all fibro.pmr pain gone.my family/friends were so pleased for me...thinking it was forever, but I knew otherwise.. It  was good till I got down to about 9mg....then it dwindled...I got very bad blurred vision, and sometimes do now, which made the doctor up me to 20mg....I am at 11mg now, and not too good some days.......fibro is all back...I think we are definitely more complicated with having both problems...and you with diabetes as well,.oh dear...My doctor is very good, but because of having both problems she sends me 6 monthly to horrible rheumy...she is what I call a smiling assassin!...she dosen`t let me speak, and demands I get down 1mg a month...as if....I will be telling her next month that I`m down to the 10mg that she wants...(11mg really) and do the very slow drop my way!!  It`s not always an advantage seeing a rhemy, as lots on here have posted......My sister had gallstones removed yesterday, (camera) and must have gallbladder out ASP,  I think you are right about the rib pain, caused through retching.  I`ve had back pain all week, caused through the same thing....I got food poisoning...never eating a fishcake again!...Good luck...Linda.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.