Really poor night vision after cataract procedure

Posted , 9 users are following.

So 2 weeks ago l had cataract procedure done on my left eye. After a few days I noticed the sharpness and clarity in my eye, but in the evening or in dim light my sight went really bad ie it is worse than before the procedure. Prior to the procedure I could see at night even thought it was slightly unclear but now its really bad, I rang SpaMedica up and told them. They called me in for a check up and said that they were happy as the lens hasn't moved nor is it damaged in anyway, they said its probably swelling and will get better. But another week on its still the same. I wasn't convinced with their answer at the time as l kept thinking if it was swelling then surely there would be consistency ie blurry in day and night. But in the day its pretty much clear with a very slight doubling on fine lines in the distance. Besides this slight issue the daytime eyesight is good, but soon as light goes dim lm nearly blind, I'm waiting for my right eye to be done so when l put the right side glasses on and compare, the right eye which is awaiting cataract procedure it is much much sharper when wearing glasses than the new iol lens in my left eye. Worse thing is that I've checked on various forums and the Internet and no one else seems to have had this loss of vision at night time following the cataract operation. I had the normal iol put in. Has anyone else had this problem. What should I do now, I even asked if they had put the right strength lens in and they said they had took all correct measurements. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 like, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ron

Hope all is well with you.

I go back to the optometrist next Saturday and my expectation is the prescription has remained stable since a week post Op, in that the right eye needs a tiny adjustment, and the left eye a bit more and that I will need a small top up laser treatment on both to correct to desired prescription.

It's not a big adjustment so hoping that will be straightforward and can't wait for the finished job.

On the poor night vision, I have noticed maybe a 50% improvement since I last wrote to you.

Not sure why that is, but with 50% still to go to a decent level, I'm not not doing cartwheels yet.

I'm still hopeful after the top up laser treatment, I will notice a dramatic improvement all round.

regards

Paul

• Posted

If you are responding to me, I am doing well. Still waiting for my Lasik consult in August, so I have put things on hold until after that. One of the things I recall about Lasik is that apparently it can cause some night time vision issues like halos and flare. So, you may want to ask about that and whether or not the risk is worth it, if the amount of correction is low.

• Posted

I had Lasik surgery 20 years ago .... best decision of my life.

Went from 3.5 short sightedness to 20/20 vision which lasted 15 years was a fantastic result. And only then with age like everyone did I start to need reading glasses.

• Posted

I have tried one Lasik Clinic recommended by my cataract surgeon to get a "touch up". I ended up in one eye at -1.0 to 1.25 D sphere and 0.75 D cylinder. It is irregular astigmatism and would not have been well corrected with a toric lens, so my surgeon suggested I do Lasik. My objective for this nearer vision eye is to be -1.5 D sphere and ideally 0.0 D cylinder. This first clinic did an assessment and refused to do Lasik to my objective. If I wanted to be corrected to 0.0 D sphere and 0.00 D cylinder they would have been happy to do it. But, it was explained to me that while it is easy to reduce myopia, it is very difficult and unpredictable to try and increase myopia. And I don't want to just reduce the cylinder as to some degree it is helping me with closer vision. I am still waiting to see a second clinic, with an appointment in August. They know ahead of time where I am at and what I want to get to, and have agreed to a consult. But, I am not totally confident they will be able to do it either.

The message I got out of this is that if you are counting on Lasik to do a touch up post cataract surgery you want to error on the side of too much myopia, not too little.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.