Really scared I have MS or ALS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry but this is going to be long...i am a 26 year old female. It all started with me sitting on my couch with my cat on my lap and then the top of my thigh started twitching...i didn't think anything of it. Then the following day i had one in my back muscle on my left side....this one wouldn't go away I took a hot bath and everything it finally went away after an hour or so. I then like most people do when they shouldn't googled it and of course MS popped up first and gave me a knot in my stomach and made me start panicking. The next day I started having more twitching in random places and my legs started to feel restless and tingly like falling asleep but not too bad. It mostly happened when I crossed my legs or sat down in a odd position. The next day It then got worse with burning like sensations in my thighs and legs, my arms started to feel heavy also. Every night I got less and less sleep worrying about these symptoms and ate less and less. Then I started get nausea and diaherrah like I've never had before, I do get diaherrah when I get anxious like before a flight or a bad phone call. But this was really different. I had a slight fever of a max of 100.1 and had no appetite at all. So I figured I had a bug and that's why my body was going hay wirer. The next day It got worse with a lot of tingling in my legs and feet but only when I laid down or sat down. My arms started to fall asleep if I had them up in the air or over my head. That night I sweated like I never had before, twice waking up in a pool of sweat. The next day I felt weak but was fine once I walked around. My anxiety was through the roof about the tingling and twitches. This all happened in a week...the following Monday I went to the doctor who said I had a gastro bug and was dehydrated causing my symtomns. So I drank water and Gatorade and tried to eat the "BRAT" diet to relax my stomach. I then started to have a bad twitch on the inside of my left arm that would come and go like the others but was more severe. No pain. This lasted a few days along with tingling and numbness in my lower legs and feet. I went back to the doctor and got a UT on my thyroid and blood tests and they came back clear. I was relaxed before they came back thinking it was going to be my thyroid in balanced and felt somewhat better but no completely. Then when they came back okay I panicked again. I went to the doctors and again telling them i wanted this tingling and sometimes numbness and twitching to stop. I lost almost 10 pounds now and barley slept through the night. She asked me about my anxiety and stress level i told her ive had alot of stress recently in my life and i do get anxiety sometimes but nothing that cause any of these symtomns. I got a full blood work done for nutrients and body function. My Alt came back slightly elevated. 74 to be exact and my chloride level was high at 113. My bun and a/g was low. She said I may have a fatty liver even though I am only 140 now 132. But I do eat out a lot and such. She also tested me for all the heps. They came back neg. Now during this time my tingling and numbness went away and just my twitching remained. I kept taking baths that helped me relax and kept my mind busy. She gave me Zoloft and it made me feel worse with my anxiety so I stopped and told her I would rather be put in a anti depressant because I know that works from past use in high school when i was 17. I got off it because i felt fine. Also my mother has anxiety since she was young just like me. We overthink and worry a lot. Now anyway I'm 3 weeks in and waiting today to go to my UT on my liver, I've been eating little by little but when I get bad anxiety mostly at night I don't eat or eat less. I've probably only slept for a total or 12 hours this whole week. My twitches are down a lot now in severity and mostly in my legs, back of calfs, thighs, feet, and sometimes arms and neck and back. But when I work myself up they come more often. Last night I started to panic because for the past 3 days my arms feel like they don't have much strength even though I can lift things no problem but I get fatigued much faster. All my muscles are tense all the time and I feel like I could pop. When I keep myself busy it helps. When I try to relax is when things come back. I no longer get the tingling numbness. Barley any burning sensation in thighs only when I work myself up. And my arms just feel weak but I know they aren't. When I squeeze my fists sometimes it feels weak and like they are waking up mostly when I'm anxious or trying to relax. I just hate how many comparisons in symptoms I have with MS and ALS. Also I had a bad tension headache for a few days but that went away. I don't have any bison problems just mostly in the morning because of fatigue. I am just so tense and scared. I don't think I can get better until I know for sure I don't have anything major. Please help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erica ! I know 100% what you are going through. You are not alone. For you to have ALS is a very very very low percentage and usually is genetic ( I have done lots of research ) same with MS ! I had the exact same sensations as you trust me ! I am battling with knowing what I have for 3 months and it’s been pain !! Same with me blood work was good, CT of my head is good and finally did my MRI and it was good. So no MS there but symptoms of tingling, needling, twitching, even burning heat sensations, hands and feet vibrations are still all there. I will really recommend you asking your doctor for an MRI if that comes clear you should stop worry about MS. It could be something else which is not that dangerous like Ms or ALS. Stress and anxiety make symptoms worst , trust me I know it’s really hard to not be stressed or even depressed. So ask for MRI, nerve test and EMG it’s another test for how muscle communicate with your brain. I am in the process of seeing a neurologist to ask for those tests aswell. Stay strong and you are def NOT alone !! 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel like I'm going nuts and constantly bothering my family members about it. This has been happening to me for only 3 weeks now and it's mostly subsided other then tingling in my arms with certain positions neck and back pain. I get little twitches less and less each day. And they are mostly in my legs. If I get worked up from my anxiety my thighs and feet start feeling like they are burning or falling asleep. I have a pretty physical job and wonder if I pinched a nerve and my stress and anxiety has made it worse with how tense I've been. But I'm going to talk to my doctor once my liver ultrasound comes back. Thank you again! So happy you don't have anything major! Good luck!

• Posted

The cases of people with genetic ALS are only 5 percent of people’s with ALS, so I wouldn’t say it mostly genetic because that is completely false. 
  • Posted

Have you taken any antibiotics from the fluoroquinolone family such as cipro, levaquin, norfloxacin, olfloxacin, and monofloxacin ? As these drugs are extremely dangerous and can have permanent side effects that can have delayed reactions because they have the potential to damage how your DNA replicates. These drugs are commonly prescribed for urinary tract infections, sinus infections and common illnesses. Many people are falsely misdiagnosed with ms, and als , when in fact they have delayed reactions after taking these antibiotics. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.