Really struggling to breathe

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve previously made a post about my GF, I’m one month in only diagnosed Friday so right at the very beginning of the journey.

Since being diagnosed my tonsils have got even bigger to the point they’re shutting my throat and I’m really struggling to not only eat and drink but BREATHE! 

Is there anything that will reduce them? Going to docs tomorrow who I will of course tell about this but wondered if any of you had help with this particular symptom?

TIA x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly,

That sounds awful, poor you you must be in so much discomfort with this - just remember this will pass and you are gonna get better. Taking half a spoon of baking soda in a spoon they say can be helpful for soothing viruses and such things, so maybe worth a try. A herb called oregano can be good too for throat and mouth issues I believe.

Good luck at the doctors, hoping you get on okay and everything feels much more settled soon.

Craig

• Posted

Thank you! I’ll give those a try it’s so annoying when you’re starving but can’t eat but I guess we’ve all been there with this awful thing.

Really appreciate your advice it’s so nice to have someone who can shed a bit of positive light on such a difficult time!

Can’t thank you enough.

Holly. 

• Posted

Hang in there Holly, you're gonna get through this I truly believe that.

Craig

• Posted

I’m sorry Tia. And don’t worry about invisionig this being a long journey for you, my glandular fever symptoms only lasted a month, with the swollen glands only being a few days. 

I’m currently now (several years later) going through a possible relapse (see my

Last post). But not all glandular fever infections last a long time. 

Anyway, concerning your throat worries - are you able to breathe ok out of your nose ? If it seems like your being able to breathe is radpidly declining then it’s ok to go to an emergency dr appointment, walk in centre or A&E. There is help

Available immediately if you need it.

When my glands were the biggest during my Glandular fever (it was the worst part of it for me) I could hardly drink. So I was sipping tiny amount of coconut water constantly. I chose coconut water because it helps you hydrate the quickest (mixing a teaspoon or salt and sugar into water will also do the same). Sucking on ice cubes can also help, that also may help the swelling. Perhaps even putting an ice pack (covered in paper/a towel?) on the glands itself might aliviate you?

Ipubrophen can also help bring down swelling.

The worse of the throat pain for me I think lasted 2 days. So if it’s at its peak now then it’ll likely be getting better soon. Rest as much as possible, so just stay in bed. Even getting up to make food I would ask my mum to do (luckily I was at home when this happened) so I literally expelled no energy 

• Posted

Holly not tia smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.