Really struggling with dizziness going on 6 weeks and now I am panicking.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

I've been reading here for a while. I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I had a stomach virus back in January and the next day I was really dehydrated. I started feeling dizzy and faint. I figured I needed fluids so I went to the ER. I was pretty dehydrated so they gave me fluids and potassium. However, I still felt the same when leaving. I would have these episodes where out of nowhere I would feel dizzy and like I was going to faint. My primary care doctor said it was vertigo and there was nothing I could do, and some people have this for a long time. One more ER visit and a Neurologist visit later and I still have no answers. I went to a dizzy clinic yesterday and they had me doing exercises to see if it is BPPV. I could barely do them without igniting an episode which is what ultimately happened. Now, I know at this point it has been 6 weeks, and I have become so anxious about this because it is literally sucking every ounce of joy out of my daily life. So at the dizzy clinic they concluded I have something "vestibular-ly occurring" but that I am starting to panic as a result of it. Now I can't control the dizziness nor my response to the dizziness. I don't trust my own body any more. And there is no way I could even handle VNG testing without a full blown panic attack. I am at a loss, any suggestions? I should also mention I am constantly dizzy at this point with episodes of increased dizziness and a feeling of almost fainting.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Almost fainting? When you stand up you almost pass out? I would be writing everything down, the gut virus seems to link with a theory I have, but I'm not a doctor. Maybe go see a Naturopath. Are your symptoms staying at just dizziness and almost fainting or are new things starting? You mention vertigo, then you mention dizziness two different things. Join vertigo support on facebook, or vestibular support, lots of facebook support groups with loads of info to get it sorted. My moneys on the stomach virus causing damage to the gut and messing up the nervous system, if you think so too start clean eating, no coffee, and take things for anti inflammation like tumeric, cbd oil high dose.

• Posted

Hi jack11633, yeah sorry about the confusion. My primary care doctor told me it was vertigo. I am not having a ton of spinning, so I was pretty skeptical about that diagnosis. I am just dizzy and then more dizzy and light-headed when having an episode. I would have to imagine there is a connection between the virus and this for sure. I have never felt like this before in my life. I have started clean eating this week. I don't drink any caffeine or have any alcohol. The only thing that seems to help is meclizine. But of course I can't take that forever. I did read somewhere on here someone had identical symptoms as I did. I reached out to them but haven't heard anything. Thanks for the advice though. Also, it's nothing to do posture. I can have an episode in any position. If it were happening when I stood I would suspect POTS.

• Posted

I believe that what you are experiencing is a vestibular issue. Probably Vestibular Neuritis. You will also find that these symptoms elicit an anxiety effect that is probably adding to the feelings. Anxiety or panic will make you feel more dizzy and light headed. Surprising that the dizzy clinic would not start some vestibular exercises after 6 weeks. VN usually runs its course in 6 to 8 weeks but, you have to get back in your routine and push through the dizzy feelings. The meclazine will help with the dizziness but, will keep you from being able to compensate to overcome any vestibular damage.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. I am hoping for some relief soon, as so many of us are. The anxiety has been an interesting addition to this calamity. It in itself is just as bad as the dizziness, and just as uncontrollable. I will do more research on the vestibular neuritis. That one wasn't on my radar as the initial virus was a GI virus. I suppose anything is possible.

• Posted

Vestibular Neuritis, VN, is caused by a viral attack on the inner ear. A lot of times it is associated with other viral issues within the body. The vestibular folks should be able to help identify whether the dizziness is associated with an inner ear issue or not. Things will get better with time but, it may take longer than you would hope. I am at about 90% recovered after almost 6 years. I still can have bad days where I feel off but, they are usually manageable. I do find that anxiety adds a lot to any symptoms that I experience. It is just a natural reaction when you feel out of control or that you may pass out. With a vestibular condition recovery is measured in weeks and months versus days.

You will know more if you can get a diagnosis. Any input from this forum is just a guess and personal experiences.

• Posted

Yes agree on pots. Regardless the clean eating will help with inflammation of any sort caused by autoimmune or virus hopefully speed up your recovery. Magnesium seems to help a lot of vestibular people. Be patient with yourself, the worst part about not knowing when you will get better causes a lot of anxiety. have you tried VRT? good free ones on you tube if you cant go in person. I strongly believe if all the symptoms are recorded and the doctor really pays attention to the description of symptoms even the times that they get worse during the day, find the triggers and it will help narrow down the issue. Did you have the chicken pox as a child?

• Posted

yes I had chicken pox as a child. I am just now starting to see a vestibular therapist. The eye movement testing he had me doing this past Monday was awful. It set off a pretty bad episode. I could barely get through it. I will look on youtube again. I had started to watch videos of people with VM doing exercises that helped. But because I wasn't sure what I had, I never tried any of it. The worst part is that my anxiety has gotten so bad. I am so sensitive to any stress right now. Every twinge of worsening dizziness sends me into a panic. I just need some relief. The only relief I was getting was slight and with the help of meclizine, but the vestibular therapist told me stop taking it so he could test me properly. Now I just feel awful in so many ways.

• Posted

thanks for the chicken pox info, that's my curiosity, one doctor told me I was sick because I had the chicken pox as child and the virus never leaves it stays dormant in your vestibular area, herpes zoster. I had testing done to see the tilters but no lab was able to process the sample. Of course just a theory.....I too was told I had vestibular neuritis....I've been sick since 2015, following a virus. like the other person mentioned of course no one on here is a doctor, but since getting sick I've learned two things be your own advocate, and vestibular support is really is helpful during the anxiety stressed out times, just be warned lots of sick people with some pretty harsh opinions and some google doctors thinking they can diagnose other vs being supportive, sharing and suggestive when similarities occur. Wishing you health & mental wellness and of course a root cause if possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.