Really struggling with sore throat and chest

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, have been a user or esomeprazole for over 12 years, about 6 months ago started getting horrendous burning stomach pains, GP thought it was h pylori so made me come of PPI, was hard but managed it and stomach pains went away, took one 20mg after 4 weeks as had a little bit of acid, the pain back again, stopped again and just used ranitidine which was fine, did the job.  Every now and then I need something stronger so take a PPI and within a few hours pain back again and with only one 20mg tablets the pain take 2 days to go.  I am 100% convinced that esomeprazole is too strong now and I no longer need it.  The only thing that is causing problems is that I now have a really irritated throat and raspy voice and feel a bit chesty which I think is all acid related. I clearly need something stronger than ranitidine which does not stop acid production just clears it up.  Are there any PPIs that are less aggressive.  Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That one your on is the strongest try another one like Lansoprazole it's much cheaper as well as you doctor given you any antibiotics for the h political because to clear that up you need to take two different antibiotics and PPI medication 

• Posted

Hi, it turned out not to be H Pylori, I am convinced it was the PPI burning my stomach as pain all gone, but comes back if I desperately need to take one.  Will go and ask for lansoprazole for the odd occasion I need it.  Thanks
  • Posted

After awhile I started eating saltines. They act like a sponge and suck up the acid and the baking soda neutralizes the acid. After that add a very small amount of baking soda to every glass of water you drink. You should use enough in time to burp. 

Has your doctor talked to you about pre and probiotics. If you have skin issues you can itch until your body gets used to it. 

I've been on Xifaxan for 12 months and I feel better. Took 7 weeks. When I stopped the antibiotics I got worse. Each person is different so be patient. 

• Posted

Hi, I will try the baking powder. Ranitidine works as that soaks up the acid, but if I am really bad I have to take a PPI which is when the pain starts again.  I do take probiotics, but not as regularly as I should so will start them up again. 
    • Posted

It's what is in Alka Seltzer but no other ingredients. Alka Seltzer was invented in 1931 and costs more. It has aspirin also which you might not want. 

• Posted

Thanks, baking powder would be awful LOL, I didn't know alka seltzer contains aspirin, won't be taking that as any kind of aspirin or ibuprofen really irritates my stomach. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.