Really stupid question re Rivaroxaban

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just changed from Warfarin to Rivaroxaban and been told to take the meds with food.  Now what the flip does this mean?  Take before, during, after?  What does 'food' mean exactly?  I do not tend to eat 'meals' as such....I prefer to just 'graze' throughout the day...a yogurt here, an apple there, a slice of toast later....so where and how do I fit in the bliimin pill?  Does it have to be a substantial meal or would just a biscuit suffice, for eg?  Ye Gods, why does everything have to be so confoozing?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi alexie

The drug gets absorbed better with food so I take mine when my meal is in front of me just before I eat. I was also told to have it at same time roughly each day. I take mine about 6-7pm. You possibly should try to eat proper meals to aid healing really .

I have noticed that some foods taste totally differently and I can often not taste the one sugar in my tea since taking the drug.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Allexie

I was started on Rivaroxaban before changing to Apixaban. I was told it would be fine to have something like a biscuit with it. As Tina says it's just so it's absorbed better! :-) 

• Posted

Many thanks to both of you for your replies.  I'm starting to get used to the 'with food' aspect more now.  I'm trying to bring forward my pill-taking time....with Warfarin I took it at 6pm each day as they suggested but I'm aiming to gradually, very gradually bring the time forward to about 11 am eventually which is when I have probably the biggest meal of the day, ('brunch').  I hope this is OK?  At my meeting with the consultant last week I was told that I would deffo not clot whilst on Rivaroxaban....now, I'm sure I have read of people who have so I am not too reassured and for the last few days I have had some calf pain - just where the original DVT was!!  Always something to worry about isn't there?!

Best wishes to all....

Alex x

• Posted

I take 20mg/day rivaroxyban and I am in a slow process of losing weight/body fat. I am less active post PE, and I eat less 2-3 small meals a day (ave) I sometimes eat more food at the weekend/if esp if I do exercise.

I bleed a little at the gums intermittently day and or night. I have good oral hygiene.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.