Really that high??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Female, in my 60's, with raised cholesterol (8.9 ..it's genetic .. so diet doesn't affect it), mild COPD and now, it seems .. high blood pressure too! I'm active .. walk every day, eat very healthily, and I'm not overweight. I've never had high blood pressure in my life before! And its worrying me greatly ..which doesn't help my blood pressure (grin) However, I have just moved house and am in a difficult marriage, so stress may be a factor.

My latest readings hover at around 148/65.

Is that REALLY so high??

Jo

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Definitely not that high, Josephine.  I would be thrilled if I could achieve that reading!   Not so many years ago 148/65 would have been considered an excellent reading for someone in their 60's but then they moved the goalposts!  Ideally, they would probably like to see the 148 reduced to 140 or just below, but the 65 is perfect.  However, you do have two very stress-creating situations going on and I hope they soon resolve, but best to keep an eye on the blood pressure meanwhile.  
    • Posted

Thank you very much for responding Mrs O.  You've made me feel much calmer, and hopefully, tomorrow morning's reading will be better.

Once again .. thank you.

Jo

• Posted

i was on the point of replying to you earlier on when  I forgot my password and ended up being locked out lol.   I agree with everything Mrs.O has said and on the subject of goal posts, they are for ever being moved for one reason or another: never it seems in the patient's favour !
  • Posted

Thats not high blood pressure, as MrsO-UK says, the top level at 148 even is not very high.

I know if I am pain, or very stressed about something mine goes up to near 200, freaks Dr's out, couple of times had comments when I have had surgery, but the moment they give me some sedation it crashes back to near normal, but lower reading stays the same between 65 - 85.

When you are talking about blood pressure its the lower reading that is the one they worry about when they are talking your readings.

and yes they have changed what is a blood pressure high, drug companies I suspect wanting more money.

• Posted

Josephine I agree with all the posts here.  I am not a doctor but I believe that your readings are good.  You do have a healthy lifestyle with a few stressors (dont we all?) and you are in your 60's.  Keep monitoring your readings, find ways to externalise your feelings of stress and stay on this site for any more information or help.  I believe we need to get back to trusting our bodies and ourselves unless we have obvious symptoms which need medical intervention.    

​Good luck with everything

Sue B    

• Posted

I totally agree, my OHs Dr is happy if his is in that range and he does have high BP and has had for 18+ years with medication.

Mine is like yours erratic LOLbut systolic stays '' normal'' yep even 10 years ago it would have been good numbers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.