Really tightening under my rib cage

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i'm getting a real tightening under my rib cage i tried to get in at the doctors today but they are fully booked up i have an appointment tomorrow afternoon this pain seems to be playing my breathing up i am getting really concerned . It also feels like my heart is racing i chequed my oxygen and i'm getting a reading of 96 which i think is'nt to bad .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi Jayne, don't panic if possible as if you have an anxiety/panic attack you will end up hyperventilating, best cure for that is breathing into a brown paper bag inhaling your own exhaled breath. try to relax, if it becomes too much you may need medical help with relaxing, prozac for instance, it does work but not instantly. good luck with your doctor tomorrow smile
  • Posted

Hi Jayne

A reading of 96 is not bad at all ....... which points to a probability of you suffering with an anxiety attack, which in turn makes the breathing worse,  as you hyperventilate and over breathe ... resulting in your heart racing.  The tightening under the rib cage is probably around the diaphram area.  It didn't help that you could not get an appointment with doc today!  If you feel you are getting worse you could ring  NHS 111 and have a chat with them over the phone.  Try and keep calm Jayne and good luck tomorrow at the docs.  x   

• Posted

Thanks Trish I see how it goes will let you know how I get on at docs.
    • Posted

Jayne,

I find a good old fashioned hot water bottle placed near the bottom of ribs helps relax things too!    If you have one of those wheatbags you put in the microwave this does the same thing!  Do you do the active cycle of breathing as this will help you. x  

• Posted

aha, so you reply to everbody that offers advice, except me! fair enough thats your perogative

• Posted

I have just read your comment David, and apologise if I haven't replied to you before.  I hadn't realised.

• Posted

Oxygen level 96 is good...My problem is if I do anything it drops into low 80's...and my pulse goes way up...What is your reading....I assume you have an Oxygen Meter...
    • Posted

I have a new mobile phone and it has an app on it which do your heart rate and oxygen reading my oxygen level has been good my my heart rate keeps going sky high .
  • Posted

I dont' know anything about oxygen readings, but it must be worrying having the pain,

I think the heartracing is just to do with your breathing, I know mine does when my breathing is bad.  I live in London and wih the pollen levels just now, it definately affects me.  I'm sure you will feel so much better once  you have seen your doctor.

Keep your chin up.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.