Really weird side effects of Amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I was put on Amitriptyline for migraine prevention, and on 10mg the side effect didn’t bother me much, I didn’t even realize that it was anything but just a strange memory trying to surface. But then I was upped to 20mg, which completely took my migraine away and I was super relieved. But shortly after the medication was upped these “memories” became increasingly more severe and disturbing. When these “memories” would push themselves into my vision I felt like I wasn’t myself and these imagines where so vivid and disturbing, I call them memories because that’s what it felt like, like I was remembering something from a dream or a movie, but the images where nothing like I’d ever seen before, and they are so out of this world and not logical or physically possible to even be real memories. Plus they where also so “muddy” I couldn’t properly describe them to a medical professional (or myself) what exactly I was seeing. Neither my GP or my neurologist believes these symptoms have anything to do with Amitriptyline but because of my fear of these (hallucinations??)  they decided I should come off of it. So I’ve been off of it for a few weeks now and these feelings and (hallucinations?) have all but gone away now, but once or twice a day I still get flooded with these “memories” and images in my head. Keep in mind that I also have borderline personality disorder, depression and anxiety. I have an extreme fear of developing schizophrenia as it runs on my biological fathers side of the family and I am of the age where that illness starts to present itself. But my psychiatrist assured me the symptoms I’m experiencing doesn’t match. However, I’m still very worried about these symptoms that only started after I took Amitriptyline, and generally hoping there’s someone out there who has experienced the same thing on the same medication. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you feel like this , i have not experienced anything like this but, no i am no longer on amitriptyline i am experiencing awful anxiety. I never had anxiety before ami so i think it alters your brain chemistry so guess thats what has happened to you. Stay away from this drug xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying, and for your advice; I’ll be steering clear of Amitriptyline and any other drugs in that family. I’m so sorry to hear about you having anxiety now though, I hope that eases! Hugs x
  • Posted

Hi Shania

?What a 'disturbing' time you are having! Although I have not suffered this personally on Amitriptyline I do know that certain drug types can cause the side effects you speak of, and you put it extremely well to help readers' understand your feelings. I am puzzled that your GP and Neurologist did not see a connection to Amitrip but glad that they took you off it. It may take a little time for what I think is a neurological side effect to get out of your system, and as you say the 'feelings' have nearly gone away. Your fears are the biggest downer for you and very hard for you to control but in 2 or 3 months time I think those fears will have been allayed for you.

?It could be that Amitriptyline was the 'trigger' that set these overwhelming 'memories' off for you and with time I very much hope they will lessen to nothing at all, but I would steer clear of this drug in the future just in case. 

I wish you light, good health and healing.

• Posted

Thank you for replying, and for your advice and showing that you care, throughout this whole ordeal I’ve felt very alone and misunderstood. I’ve been working on trying to explain myself properly so that I’m understood by others. However I have not been able to describe what I’m seeing at all, hopefully I’ll be able to find the words to do so soon. 

But yeah, thank you again for replying to me, it was nice to hear that someone understood quite well what I was trying to say 

• Posted

You are struggling to be understood Shania - these feelings you have are almost familiar like long ago memories but with parts missing - a sudden recognition that disappears so quickly you can't hang on to it. These experiences are obviously upsetting to you as you are not able to comprehend their meaning causing agitation and anxiety. I have had similar occurrences on Lyrica/Pregabalin, and I find them most unsettling. I now practice 'Mindfulness' (you can Google this and read up on it). I find it extremely helpful in reducing the Anxiety and my ability to cope with fears is growing.

?I am pleased that your Psychiatrist has been able to put your mind at rest that these are NOT the symptoms of Schizophrenia so please look on that as a big Positive. I hope you can start to find some Peace and Calm in your life soon. 

• Posted

I too experienced very vivid and psychotic dreams while taking this drug. Thee are cases of other ppl harming their bodies while asleep while taking this drug. I'm of the belief that it causes your brain to tap into and allow demonic spirits to entertain us. I tapered off and have had no such issues. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.