Really weird trigger.......

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I have been experiencing TN since March after dental work and was diagnosed last month. I'm just starting meds and trying to get to grips with triggers and one has been really random I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience of it. So I've suddenly started to have a real texture issue with things like cotton wool, tissues, pillows and towels to the point where I feel this creak when I touch them I feel suddenly physically sick and my body is covered in goosebumps. From this comes the pain in my face that lasts about 5 - 15 minutes.

I've never had a texture issue like this before it is so bizarre I am just wondering if this is something others have or if others have triggers as random as mine.

Hope all of you are keeping well and fighting the pain hard.

Positive wishes to all Xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi!  This has been my experience for the last year.  There are some days I can't really wash my face on both sides...or have to pat it dry.  Most days blowing my nose is very painful and putting on makeup next to impossible. Now I do take Tegretol which dulls the severity, as well I've gotten used to having to work around these strange triggers.  You are not alone!  Keep fighting the pain!

• Posted

Your triggers sound awful and must really interupt your life. I do have the same issue as you with applying makeup which is really frustrating as I am a trained makeup artist and love wearing it. I have just started taking Tegretol this week and am hoping that it helps ease the pain. Have you experienced many side effects? Xx
  • Posted

Hi Rach,

My TN doesn't have any specific triggers, so I can't relate to that part of it. However, I do know the "creak" feeling you mentioned with certain textures. I get that sometimes too. Especially when touching an older towel with dry hands, or one that has just come out of the dryer and is really, really dry. That sounds so specific, I know! I've had that feeling for a long time and people act like I'm crazy when I talk about it. I'm glad it doesn't trigger my TN, but the downside to not having triggers is there is nothing to avoid to make sure it doesn't happen. It just does it whenever!

Jocelyn

• Posted

Oh no I never thought about not having triggers that must be a nightmare! So sorry you are going through the pain like you are. I'm glad you understand what I mean in terms of the creak even though I also aren't because it's horrible it makes me cringe even just thinking about it my teeth go all weird. Old towels I know what you mean. I think it sets of my TN because I always imagine biting the textures I hate. Weird and like you very specific, Haha.

Hope your TN pain keeps under control, take care Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.