Really worried about cancer.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Some background info:

I'm a 23 year old male in decent physical condition. I do suffer with generalized anxiety disorder. I'm 6'3" and about 220 pounds. Heavy drinker. A quick reply would help me keep what's left of my sanity smile

I'm not sure when it started, but I noticed myself having flat stools consistently for about three weeks. I decided to go to the GI Doc who basically brushed me off and said to take BeneFiber and get a better diet. So I did. That was a month ago. I've since upped my intake of fruits and veggies a LOT. I've never eaten a better diet in my life. Started taking vitamins and a daily probiotic. The flat stools remain. They aren't going away. There is the occasional diarrhea and constipation, but as long as I stick to my diet it's usually just the flat stools that are concerning. I get flutters in my lower abdomen from time to time and I experience the slightest, most dull pains in my abdomen occasionally. I will also get bright red drops of blood on the TP from time to time, but never any in the toilet. Lastly, I experience the sensation of incomplete evacuation and find myself going to the bathroom for #2 about 4-6 times per day.

I've tried to brush off my symptoms as stress related. But I cannot shake the flat stools. It is consistent. And it isn't going away. My health insurance won't cover a colonoscopy and my doctor doesn't seem too concerned with ordering me one. I have a follow up appointment a week from today, but I might have completely lost my mind from panic by then.

Please, anybody, if you have experienced a similar situation or can ease my mind at all, you will be welcomed with open arms. sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Worrywart69-perhaps you stools need bulking up with more fibrous veg/fruit-

sweet potatoe is full of fibre. 

If you cook for yourself try Turmeric on your veg-stir fry)? 

You may have haemorrhoids ? (as you say drops of blood are sometimes there) ?> -  sitting on the toilet you should relax and try not to get anxious!

Occasionally my stools are similar-but they soon change when I eat plenty of green veg-broc/cabbage etc -also Kiwi fruit/pears/melon/plums.

IBS could also be part of the problem ?

Try charcoal tabs for wind pain (I use them)-if nothing helps go back and see your professional. Stay calm as anxiety will make you feel worse.

Regards

Susan

PS I am not a professional-but have experienced a nasty situation recently.

PPS Are you in USA ? 

I had a colonoscopy  in UK 2014 which did show a problem- which was dealt with.(We have the NHS here which we pay into from when we start working under National Insurance Scheme)-so my op didn't cost me -as I had paid into the scheme for 35 years.) If you went to a 'Emergency Room' -would they still charge you for Colonoscopy ? (I don't know much about U.S health services).

Hope you'll soon feel moe comfortable.

Susan

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately yes, I'm in the states, and a colonoscopy will run me upwards of $1500. sad pathetic that I basically have to decide how much my peace of mind is worth. I'm going to try to stay calm for the next 6 days. I haven't been officially diagnosed with IBS, but from what I've gathered that seems to be the biggest possibility. The flat stools are so concerning though, because they won't go away! I'm hoping this is normal for people who suffer with IBS. I will try some things you mentioned and see if I get some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.