Really worried, wasn't expecting this!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I went to the doctors last Friday less than a week ago with my symptoms, for 3 weeks I have been feeling dizzy, lightheaded, very fatigued and loosing weight. He thought it my be thyroid so organised blood tests to be done on the following Monday. He told me to book an appt in the next 2 weeks to come back for the results which I did.

The day after I had my blood test a nurse rang me from the doctors asking if she could move my appt forward to the next day (Wed).

When I went to see the doctor the first thing he said was he was wrong about the thyroid but he had called me in because my results had shocked him (severe anemia) he says that my body is obviously fighting something very serious in my body and they need to find the cause. He has given me ferrous fumarate 305mg to be taken twice daily but also has sent me for a bowel cancer screening and an ultrasound to check for polyps.

I am reading this forum and seeing people have anaemia without it meaning there is anything going on.... Can he see something in my results that he's not telling me???

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not necessarily, Gemma! I was diagnosed as severely anaemic over a year ago. There didn't appear to be a reasonable cause so I was sent for a colonoscopy and endoscopy within 2 weeks, to investigate possible internal bleeding. The tests were clear and an ultrasound scan later was also clear. The dr deduced it was my heavy periods, as well as my fibroids. I couldn't tolerate the tablets so take liquid iron instead but, although my levels have slightly improved, I'm still anaemic! The tests for bowel problems are usually done now, to rule out internal bleeding. So don't worry; look upon it as a thorough check up for your body and, in the meantime, keep taking the tablets.

• Posted

I had a similar experience except the doctor explained anaemia can be caused by internal bleeding. Sometimes it can be found and treated easily. There can be many causes. But I went on to have many tests- colonoscopies, gastroscope sand a camera capsule. They could not find the cause. The good thing is that if it was stomach ulcers or bowel cancer they should have been able to see them.and they haven’t found anything. Three years in and we still don’t know the cause. Iron tablets made no difference but now I have iron infusions when my iron drops low. Some people have this for the rest of their lives or until a cause becomes apparent. So try not to worry. There could be a simple cause that they can treat quickly. Once they find it. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Gemma, under NHS guidelines  if someone has suddenly and unexpectedly developed anaemia they have to be referred for investigations. More often than not there is no specific cause but in a few cases like me something is discovered. For me it was discovered that I had a rare genetic liver disease called Carolis disease and I had to have half my liver removed last September.  If I had not had a CT scan after I was diagnosed with anaemia last April, I would never have known because I had no symptoms and it does not show on any blood tests. There will be nothing in the results he is not telling you, he has sent you for bowel cancer screening and ultrasounds because he wants to know the cause of the anaemia. The important thing to remember is that in most cases there is nothing sinister going one.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with anemia last year and started on iron tabs. The first thing my Dr. did was send me in for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. Both were clear. Seem as though the two tests a standard for anemia. Just take it one day at a time. Your symptoms will get better as your iron builds up. Mine took 5 months.
    • Posted

Thankyou, all these comments have reassured me no end.
  • Posted

Thankyou everyone, all these comments have reassured me. Last night I experienced really excruciating leg pain in my right leg and it has left it aching and feeling heavy all day. I have really bad varicose veins and had a blood clot when I was pregnant with my 3rd child and it feels exactly the same type of pain.
    • Posted

Sounds like a leg cramp (Charlie horse). Drink lots of fluids and eat bananas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.