Reason for shingles at 21?

Posted , 2 users are following.

About a year ago i started to get what i believe to be shingles on the back of my right leg. Since its first flare up it has came back about 4 times since and its always in the same spot! I dont currently have insurance but will soon. I did go to the dr when it first came up but by the time i had gotten in it had been a couple weeks and began healing but the dr did confirm it looked like shingles but did not run any tests. My question is, after doing some research im worried that i could have an underlying health issue. Also considering how many times it has came back in the same spot all within a year. Im only 21. Is it possible that there is nothing wrong except for the fact that i have shingles? After researching im worried i have cancer or something crazy. TIA

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

does it ache or itch?

• Posted

Itch! Doesnt really hurt. For the past 2 days the area just kinda had a tingling feeling when it was coming on but it has never hurt or ached really

• Posted

thats the exact case i get a d i get it often. it flares up with stress. what i do is this, wash your hands every time you touch it, and keep in mind that it may spread if you touch other parts of your body. if poss try not to scratch it. i use a cream for the spot when it itches, ill resend you the name but more importantly you need to get on valtrex. that will calm it down.

• Posted

So it doesnt necessarily have to be related to any kind of more serious issue? i called a local dermatologists office but without insurance it is going to cost a couple hundred dollars. If i choose not to get it treated do you know if it could lead to anything more serious without treatment? Because if not im not too worried about the rash itself because all it does is itch!

• Posted

i personally dont think so but im not a dr. you need to see your GP for the valtrex and the internal cream. i would do that first.

• Posted

HI,

Where abouts on your leg is the rash? I ask because there is the possibility that this isn't shingles and its herpes.

I went mis diagnosed for almost 10 years and realised I have herpes after speaking to people on here.

Both are treated with the same medication and it needs to be within 72 hours of the outbreak.

• Posted

Its on the back of my right upper leg on the thigh area! Were you able to see the picture of it i posted? I cant tell if it uploaded or not but it should be on my initial post. Can it lead to anything if not treated? I called the dermatologists and without insurance its going to be a couple hundred dollars. So i was just going to leave it alone for now since all it does is itch! I think i was on valtrex the one time i did go to the dr for it when it first came up. I just had a baby and when i went to all my check ups while i was pregnant they never said anything about me having herpes and i want to say they checked but im not for sure. It appeared for the first time around a year ago and has since came back in the same spot 4 times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.