Reasons to come off Citalopram?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. Hope you're all staying strong. I've been on Citalopram 20mg for about 7 months now and with great success.

I just wanted to know people's reasons for coming off Citalopram?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hey x I'm week 4 on 20mg and still feel horrific! did you feel like this still 4 weeks in.

I think a lot of people come off because they either feel that the meds are working really well so they would like to come off completely. or they aren't working how they would like do come off or switch if they don't feel they are working x

• Posted

Yeah i started to feel the better effects about 6 weeks in but that's the point when I started to feel better to start exercising again and going for walks n eating better.

• Posted

thanks buddy x 4 weeks in and its rough x gotta keep going I suppose x

first time on them worked in about 3 weeks lol x

my advise would be to not come off them completely as a low maintenance dose might be all you need x

some people come off fine but some people don't at all

11 months I've been trying to get better because of swapping/changing/stopping meds and it's been the worst 11 months of my life. if you do want to come off do it very very very slowly x

• Posted

After a month on 10, i upped to 20. It took me a long time to feel normal for a day. Its a long job.

• Posted

Hi Carl. Cit worked well for me and the only reason I had to stop it was because I developed adverse

side effects – a sort of allergic reaction. My hair fell out and I had hallucinations. Was not happy to have to stop because it really helped. My friend has been on it for many years and has no problems whatsoever and probably will continue for life as it is effective.

• Posted

i stopped as i was put on it for migraines which it never helped and it also turned me into a cold emotionless person! currently tapering, im on 3 drops, im that sensitive to it i can only do one drop a year, but the plus side is i now have my emotions back!

• Posted

I stopped it because i felt great and thought i did not need it anymore. It was the biggest mistake of my life. I am now back on it after having a horrible crash while i was off it. Still waiting for it to work and feel like complete crap. If i was in your situation i would say don't even think about coming of it as you will crash eventually and it will be horrible as it will be even worse than first time round. But if you are having no stress and a happy life now and you think it will stay like that and nothing will trigger it then go ahead and try to stop but do it very very slowly so you don't get withdrawals. It took me 4 months to wean myself of it.

• Posted

They work pretty well for me as they have really helped with my aniexty. I'm in a much better place now but I'm kinda in two minds whether I should start coming off them or just keep taking them for life.

I don't have many side effects apart from my emotions seem quite dull, almost fake at times and my sex drive is up n down. One month it's sky high the next it's non existent.

It would be nice to be med free but at what cost.

• Posted

I came off them because after 5 years they quit working for me. I switched to something else that mostly works, but not as well as Citalopram did. I now think back to those years as "the golden years" 😉.

• Posted

Made my hair fall out. Didn't really help much, but was only on low dose 10mg, trying sertraline now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.