Reassessment appointment for PIP three weeks after first assessment

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I had my PIP medical a month ago, and now I have been called back in him I had my pip medical a month ago, and now I have been called back in for another assessment. I have tried to get an answer from either DWP or the assessors, but all they say is that the assessor needs more information. I am really suspicious, has this happened to anyone else?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

To be honest I have never heard of anyone having 2 x F2F assessments and i wonder if theirs ever actually been one.

This is definitely PIP not esa or another employment interview.

• Posted

I've never heard of anyone having 2 F2F ass .....do they just need more infomation?

• Posted

Hi,

Yes i have actually heard of this happening before but it's extremely rare, in fact i've only ever heard of this happening to 2 people. As it's so extremely rare are you sure it's for PIP and not for ESA? If you claim ESA as well and i'm not sure you do because i can't remember then what does it actually say on the letter, does it say PIP and not a work capability assessment? Are you sure the first assessment you had was for PIP because you say it was a medical and a PIP assessment isn't a medical.

If it is PIP then it's probably because there's some discrepancies between the evidence you sent, or they've received and what's been writing on the first assessment report. This could well have been picked up if your report was chosen for audit after the first assessment. It's not a good or a bad thing just very rare.

• Posted

Have I heard of a F2F where the assessor said they could not continue, as a Doctor was needed because of the problems suffered by the claimant? So a second assessment was to be carried out?

May have misremembered as I am prone to do?

Never happened o me personally.

Good luck, perhaps someone else can 'shine a light' on my memory? I presume your first assessment was completed and not interupted?

• Posted

As Denise said the PIP assessment is not a medical so they would not have to stop the assessment to call a doctor to check because of any medical conditions at all

• Posted

I cannot remember where I read about this but it rings a bell. From what I remember reading, The DWP decision maker sometimes will return the report to the assessor either to verify something or to rewrite the whole report due to an unacceptable account of things by the assessor. I believe sometimes if that is not acceptable then they can call you back in to see a different assessor. I believe it's nothing to do with you but more to do eith an incompetent assessor. I wouldn't worry about it although its bloomin inconvenient for you. I wish i could remember where I saw this but it was definitely the reason they call some people back.

• Posted

This can happen yes but it's extremely rare, so rare in fact it's hardly ever happened. If the report is returned to the HCP to verify things in the report then usually another face to face assessment isn't needed. If however, the report was sent to audit and inconsistencies were found then they may ask you to attend another assessment. This is the reasons why audits take place, to check the HCP's are doing their jobs correctly...it's a shame not more audits take place.

• Posted

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Yes, it is PIP, this is the only benefit I claim, and no, you're right, it isn't a medical, I used the wrong , word. The whole thing has been a bit bizarre, first, apparently they couldn't reach me on the phone, despite the fact that I explained on my form how hard I find phones, and leave a message, then finally they did leave a message and when i called them- this is the independent assessors, not DWP - the guy said first that they hadn't been able to reach me, to ask me for additional information, so were calling me back in for another assessment. Then, later he said something about me being audited, and that was why i needed another assessment. Then he really pressed me, saying i needed to arrange a time right there and then, and when i started to get really upset, kept on saying how he understood how i felt, and he couldn't give me any information.

I phoned DWP after that, to try and understand what was going on, had to phone them as theres no way to email any of these people, spoke to one person who just gave the bland, its all routine, nothing to worry about, then to another one, who said that sometimes they call people for audits. But ne real explanation of what was meant by this.

then, today i had another message, and phoned back, got a very unhelpful person, who just said i needed to attend on the 1 of November, and kept on repeating that she couldn't tell me anything, and i would find out what it was about at the assessment. She was pretty much bordering on the rude aggressive, snapping that i was interrupting her, which i was because i was trying to get through that the thought of waiting a month, not knowing what i would face was not on, and i was getting very distressed and paranoid by this. she then passed me to another person, who was slightly more helpful, but not much.

So, the end result is I am being assessed again, maybe due to an audit, or perhaps to get more information. I am very confused, and frightened. My paranoia is running wild, I keep on imagining that I will get into the room, and be faced by officials with videos or statements from people that i can do things and I'm not really disabled, and I'm a benefit cheat....

I know this probably won't happen, but thats the way my mind is going at the moment.

part of me just wants to phone them up and cancel my claim, as the process is making my mental health wobblier than I have been for ages

• Posted

Yes, the audit that's exactly what i thought was the problem. Let me explain a little further and maybe this will a least make you feel a little better.

A claimant file is chosen for audits at complete random. What happens is after the report has been written they're placed into piles and the auditers just choose which file to take and this is totally random. What they do then is look through the assessment report, look at all of your evidence and see if there's any inconsitencies. This can be a good thing because if the HCP has lied in your report and the evidence you sent says something completely different then the auditors will pick it up, if they're doing their jobs corectly and mostly they do. A file being audited is nothing to do with the claimant doing anything wrong, it's purely to check the HCP has done their job as they should have.

My daughters PIP claim was sent to audit and it was there for 5 weeks. Good thing it was chosen because they did indeed find a few errors made by the HCP, it was then returned to the HCP to correct the errors. No further re-assessment was needed for my daughter because they evidence i sent proved the HCP was wrong. It may well be that they just don't have the evidence from you to change or put right what they think is wrong within that report.

DWP would have no idea what's going on because it's nothing to do with them until that report is returned to them. When ringing the health assessment providers you ring through to a call centre and the only information they have is what's on the computer. They won't be able to go into specific details with you because they don't have that information. The only ones that will have that will be the HCP and the auditors.

Once you've been for the 2nd assessment and your report has either been re-written or corrected, it's then returned to the auditors for a final check. After this, it will be returned to the DWP.

I know exactly how stressful this is but please don't give up. Another assessment just means they want to correct what's wrong but can't do that without the assessment.

Don't let them win because that's what they want. Be strong, stay strong is the only way! Take someone with you. Good luck and hopefully a decision will come back in your favour.

• Posted

Thanks Denise, this does make a little more sense than the garbled and conflicting bits of information I got from DWP/ independent assessors. I'll try and stay calm and keep fighting!

• Posted

You're welcome. It's not unusal for the DWP not to know about this audit process because it's nothing to do with them and they most likely have no idea it was even in an audit.

Don't let them get to you. Always here if you need more advice or any further help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.