Reassurance needed. 16 weeks and having a blip.

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello everyone. I have been on citalopram 20mg for almost 16 weeks now. it's been horrible with all the side effects. finally around 12 weeks the side effects have settled and after week 12 I started to get better was going out as normal, working exercising again less anxiety and less low mood some moments of normality. however now for the past few days it seems like I have come into a bad blip, high anxiety and its mainly relationship related but there is absolutely no issues in the relationship it's just anxiety making me feel weird things. low mood had come back too. nothing triggered it really. I dont know what is going on and why this is happening now when I thought that finally I can start putting this hell behind me.

any input will be greatly appreciated. thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lala

I don't think it takes much to bring on a blip when we are already feeling fragile.

I'm on a reduced dose for around 7 months and am getting blips. If I watch something on the tv that's upsetting, it knocks me off balance for a while too. In fact I can't watch the big tv any more, I prefer to use my tablet, I have more control over it.

It will pass and January is nearly over with the spring months to look forward to. I find January a depressing month in any case.🌞

• Posted

thank you for your reply. I just remember when I was on citalopram the first time round I was soo much better than I am now on week 16.

so it's just scary I just desperately want all this anxiety to go away but probably I just need to learn to live it it better.

yeah tv defo is triggering I need to be very careful about what I watch. this new found sensitivity is very annoying I was never like that.

• Posted

Hi Lala

I've read on here so many people saying the experience the second time round is different.

I know it's scary and frustrating because deep down we know this isn't really us, it's the anxiety trying to control us.

We all have our coping methods, for me I like to keep busy for as long as I can, good nutrition and exercise.

Every day is a day closer to recovery.

• Posted

yep i remember those blips too, you can be great for a while then bang a blip will surface its ugly head, just remember that its only a sign that citalopram is working its way to leveling its self off, i was there once and its a horrible frightening feeling that its coming back but it wont, much luck

• Posted

the only thing I am worried about is that is happening so far along like I been on this dose for 16 weeks so it definitely makes me worry quite a bit. seems like the horrible morning anxiety is back as well. did you also blip so far along?

• Posted

yes, iv been on mine for over 4 years 20mg, i remember having a blip last year while driving my car, i wasnt right in the morning ( mood swings) then i came, furst dizzy then funny eyes sensation, a shuddering feeling from my shoulders down my back, but i got to say 16 weeks is still pretty early, its different for everyone but i can say they are working for you and weather the storm, youve been through the worst and it wont be that bad again only mood swings and blips you will have but the great feelings outnumbered ,them, keep going your doing good, much luck x

• Posted

morning anxiety was the fist thing to go with me after about 4-5 weeks then a grueling 4 months then side effects eased alot ( tolerable) thats when i new i was recovering, secret is do everything that triggers your anxiety, dont hide frim it like not watching tv, face it and go with it, youl do it

• Posted

I know I try my best not to avoid things and carry on with life but it's very hard when blip comes on as it not only makes it hard mentally but also physically. I guess I also have to learn to live with it. anxiety is normal part of life it's just that ours is amplified. horrible illness.

when would you say you felt like you were recovered where the anxiety was not so bothersome daily for you? it seems like by now it should have been much better for me it's been so long already 4 months on the same dose.

• Posted

i think it took about 1-2 years for me because i spent 8 months on 30mg which was too high, i new this because of strange eye sensations and slight anxiety feeling all the time, i take mine at 11pm so i just took 20mg that night and when i woke the next morning i can only explain in like my life was great again, this was my found level(dose), everything subsided, i then read books about anxiety and took advice of people on hear like katekogs & lois, and learnt as much as possible on the nervous system and what chaos it can cause through stress, you say you got to learn to live with it (anxiety) but its curable believe me, knowledge is the key to anxiety free, lol that rhymed lol, i still get small blips every now and then but my family issues are testing me atm my wifes sister passed away end of August and its hard for us & kid's,any questions don't hesitate, x

• Posted

no toria, my doctor recommended me to stay on them due to family circumstances just incase, i suffered with health anxiety nothing more, and my sister in law passed with sepsis at 46, organ failure, i will tapper down but atm life is too good to chance it so im making the most of it, when the time comes to come off il be trying 5mg at a time and will be prepared for withdrawal symptoms, but my theory is because i had every side effect in the book maybe it wont be too harsh coming off x

• Posted

i am anxiety free now, still have anxious feelings but who doesn't hey, how are you now toria? i read some time ago you came off them because they didn't work for you, how are you?

• Posted

not great but determined to get off it, the good news is my emotions are back and brain function, not a cold zombie anymore but the withdrawal is brutal can only reduce 2mgs a year or i wouldnt function at all, i literally have a thousand symptoms, i never had anxiety before withdrawal either, glad youre in a good place right now 😃 x

• Posted

any improvement is Great, thanks toria, and i hope you improve over time coming off them as they are not for everyone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.