Reassurance needed regarding fluoxetine!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I had a depressive episode 3 years ago and took citalopram which I eventually weaned off as I felt better and had bad side effects, most of which died down, except the night sweats that never left me.

The depression has returned after stressful life events, and I'd didn't really want to take tablets but felt like I had no choice. I have been taking fluoxetine 20mg for just over 3 and a half weeks, setraline was no good for me.

i haven't felt much improvement yet, I've had no side effects like those of citalopram, felt very anxious 2 weeks ago, and now just feel low. Quite tired, lack motivation, currently off work, and lost my appetite. I've been back to gp who feels it's too early yet to have much effect and I should continue with them.is this right? Will I feel any better on these? I'm having cbt too, just feel as though I'm not getting anywhere at the moment!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am nearly 8 weeks on flu and still anxious and down but have also had some good days so am hopeful that it will work eventually 

From other posts it seems quite a long process but worth it for the results. I am going to keep going on 20 msg till 12 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon

X

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, my gp thinks I should start having better days in the next 4weeks. I hope so, I really don't feel myself, but didn't before the meds either. Other people think I'm getting better but I can't see it, had a better day yesterday than today so maybe it is just time. 

Hope they kick in soon for us xx

• Posted

Yes people see a difference in me to but I suppose when all you do is focus on the anxiety and depression it seems all consuming. Good luck I hope your gp is right

xx

• Posted

Hi

I am almost 8 weeks on flu now and although overall things are better, I have great patches but I have awful patches too.  Everyone says it takes a long time to get over these things and finally feel normal again but when you're in the "eye of the storm" you feel that you'll never be normal again.

Hopefully we will all feel great all the time by week 12!

Keep posting for encouragement

x

• Posted

Yes my gp likened it to been in a tunnel and not been able to see the light at the beginning. But he says as you progress on the tablets you should move further into the tunnel, and start seeing some light eventually. I'm hoping so, had quite a good day yesterday, but I know that this can be up and down x
    • Posted

I am in the "eye of the storm" and there feels like there's no end to it
    • Posted

Hi

I'm sure you will feel better soon. I am right weeks in although it's not all plainsailing I feel a little better good days and bad days.

My hp wants me to go up to 40mg but I want to stick with twenty till 12 weeks as people have commented it can take as long as that to kick in.

Good luck keep in touch

• Posted

I am new to Fluoxetine and like you, feeling very low, agitated, anxious, crying, no appetite. My husband is very good to me but then I feel guilty because he is doing so much for me. Wished I hadn't changed from Citalopram, but then wasn't working as well to lift my mood but feel so worse on the Fluoxetine, will we get better?sad
    • Posted

How long have you been taking them? I would stick with them for at least 8 weeks to see effect. It will get better, everything good or bad is temporary. 

Try not set too many goals, just getting up, getting showered, and going to the shop can be a big deal when you feel this low. Lean on those close to you for support too, I've found this helps too. Xx

• Posted

Hi hevsky, to be fair I was put on 50mg of Sertraline, which I took for 3weeks when I started with the agitation, shaking, crying etc. My GP changed this to 20mg of Fluoxetine last week. So maybe I have to wait for the Sertraline to get out of my system before the Fluoxetine starts to work, having seen this forum has helped but I didn't expect it to take so long for it to work though, I guess there is no overnight success however much we want it, my husband is very supportive but then I feel guilty because he is having to do so much for me, which in turn upsets me more. Thanks xx
    • Posted

I think its just time, give them time, and you should start to feel better. Un fortunately they can increase symptoms at first. Try not to feel guilty about your husband, he obviously wants to help. Have you tried any counselling? CBT can sometimes help. You will get there, you just have to try believe it.xx
    • Posted

Thank you hevsky, it's so nice to have support, going to my GP again next Monday so will ask to talk to someone xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.