Reassurance x

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi everyone first time posting but have been following for a while. it's my second time on citalopram for really bad health anxiety after having success with it 3 years ago. this time round is so different 😢 i started 7 weeks ago on 10mg and upped to 20mg 4 weeks ago. ive had alot of side effects, nausea, dizziness, intrusive thoughts etc. started to feel more myself just over a week ago but now i feel like im going backwards 😢 is this normal? im crying again and panicking because i keep feeling pains in my chest, which ive been told is anxiety related by my doctor, but im still convinced its my heart ! 🙈 anyone else had similar?

thanks xx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carla im exactly the same as you. i am 12 weeks in second time for mainly health anxiety. It hasnt worked as well for me this time though i am slowly starting to feel better. i still have health anxiety tho. You are just having a blip. i have had many of those - it is 2 or 3 steps forwards and one back. Just accept its blip and keep on as usual and it will ease. PM me if you want to chat me - sounds like we are in a very similar situation x

• Posted

thanks tamsin, as rubbish as it is its comforting to know im not the only one......even though it feels that way. The first time for me i was back to my usual self within 3 weeks with no side effects! stayed at 20mg for around 8-9 months then came off it slowly. been great for 3 years so its really disheartening to be like this again. hopefully this blip will pass for us both soon. keep me posted x

• Posted

same for me as well 2nd time was a lot harder took me longer but you do get there i am on 10mg now have been on cit for nearly 4 years now still get the odd blip but can manage them

• Posted

hi michelle how long did it take you the second time? i had so many more side effects this time - terrible anxiety, insomnia, burning sensations, panic attacks. Like you last time i was better within 3 or 4 weeks.

• Posted

I will be honest with you it's going to be a long journey. I'm 12 weeks on 20mg and still have horrible days. however I can function. it's getting better though. the thing is you are still very early in your recovery. you will have days where you feel like you are back to normal only to have all the symptoms return and make you feel like you are back to square one or even worse. dont doubt the medication they will work but it's going to take a long time. you just have to ride out these horrible days if you have some diazepam with you take when it gets too much. I would say stay on the dose dont make rushed decisions and go up the dose even of the doc tells you too. you have to give the same dose another 6 to 8 weeks to work. there will still be many side effects but they will pass believe me. just keep strong and post on here for reassurance when it's bad. and there will be bad days even worse probably but it is all part of recovery and everything that you are experiencing is completely normal for us anxious people.

• Posted

lala...i wonder why my NP says it takes a particular dose 6-8 weeks to take effect and if symptons still persist, will have to increase dose. As medicine wont go to the brain after week 8.

• Posted

lala25752 thanks for being honest i'll try and see it all as being normal. its just so hard because first time round it was like a miracle, maybe im just being too impatient with it. x

• Posted

yes all of us on here seemed to find it a miracle the first time but much harder the second time. we just have to stick with it and be patient and accept its not going to be the same experience

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.