Reasurrance needed

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all .. i guess im juts after some reassurance .. i was taking citalopram 20mg from 2012 until may this year .. crashwd and burned with awful depression and anxiety 3 weeks ago so went back on citalopram .. first 2 weeks were awful and i was suicidal and barely able to function .. i was such scary thoughts .. that i was schitzophrenic .. pyschotic .. people { my husband , kids , friends } were all horrible and evil and hated me .. i hated them .. all of which i know isnt true and was just making the panic worst .. ive started to settle loads but every now and then the panic creeps back in and the thoughts pop back in .. is this all normal ? i keep telling myself 3 weeks is no time and i need to be more patient but i get myself so scared that im never going to get better x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So you came off meds in May this year? How did you come off them and how long did you spend withdrawing?

I can only guess you came off far too quick hence the crash and burn - thats withdrawal symptoms, or delayed symptoms anyway.

Restarting meds is a good idea yes, and as you said, 3 weeks is no time at all. It can take many months before you feel settled, so don’t beat yourself up about how you feel at the moment.

Everyone who has anxiety thinks exactly the same - you won’t get better. You will. When you’re in the grip of anxiety you will think negatively and its only natural to not see your way forward.

Intrusive thoughts are a side effect of anxiety, so your mind will race. As anxiety eases so too will the thoughts.

Anxiety makes you think differently so thinking everyone was evil and hated you wasn’t the real you - it was anxiety talking. These thoughts then cause more anxiety adding to the anxiety pot.

Just keep on with the meds - it will be a rough ride for a while, but it will get better. Try and ride the bumps and you’ll get through.

You will get through this.

K x

• Posted

Yeah it's all normal hun the doctors upped mine from 30mgs to 40mgs of citalopram because I had a very very bad relaps... first 2-3 weeks was awful my anxiety went threw the roof and I was constant crying and down in the dumps etc.. I'm on week 7 now iv had 2 weeks of bliss but have seemed to gone down hill because iviv been paranoid Iv got bipolyer 2 or have BPD because where im so up an down I'm going to the doctors on Tuesday for reassurance an see if they can do anything but it will take 4-6 weeks to feel good benefits an mine didn't creep in until at 5 weeks so yeah just be patient an after 6 week or so if u still feel s**t go back to the doctors that's what I would do!! Good luck hun! X .

• Posted

hi kelly im exactly the same as you - just restarted citalopram for anxiety and depression after finally coming off in April. First 2 days 5mg then 6 days of 10 mg. Anxiety has gone through the roof the last 3 days with constant dread and nervousness and mini panic attacks - feel heaps worse than i did before i started them. So many negative, catastrophic thoughts - so many what ifs - what if they dont work, what if im stuck with feeling this bad forever. How long until this awful intense anxiety eases?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.