Reative Arthritis 1 week in.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there everybody my name is Pete, I am 29 and during a 3 week holiday in India meeting family (my wife is Indian) I aquired a lovely bout of severe food poisoning could have been disentry as there was blood present. Arrived back in the UK and returned home partially relieved for the normality albeit extremely cold. a few days following my return I noticed a burning sensation in my urethra when I was passing urine, this was closesly followed by a grim case of the old red eye...superb! I made an apointment to see my GP the following day, and woke the following morning with pain in my ankle but thought nothing of it as I put it down to chill pains that I have had in the past due to cold weather. Anyway, I walked there in the snow, got prescribed some Trimethoprim for the UTI and some drops for my eyes although my ankle seemed to get more painful as the went on. I returned home following collecting my precription, and took off my boot to find it was quite swollen. Showed my wife, and we decided it was best to see the GP again so off we went..cut a long story short, was in hospital for 2 day, diagnosed with RA and was sent home with ibuprofen and paracetamol. it has been about 5 days and in that time, my knee on the same leg, my jaw joint on the same side and my clavical joint on the opposite side (which I dislocated 6 years ago) have become inflamed. I have been prescribed diclofenac 50mgs TDS, and am hoping things will improve. The strangest thing though is that I have met in the short time of having the condition, 2 other people, women actually one of whom is younger who was diagnosed in August last year and is now working again, and another who was daignosed when she was 16 she had it in both knees and has made quite a good recovery. The bottom line is this... It seems that people do recover from this condition, so hey, I might too, I will Kepp you guys posted and will also let you know what I am doing. Currently just taking Diclofenac 150mg daily, and also doing some light exercise on the joints, it does hurt, but hey no pain no gain right, and I firmly belive that it is keeping my joints at least slightly functional which has to be a good thing, dont plan on taking the diclofenac longer than a onth at this time, and will also be trying the grim vegetable juice drink described earlier. Will let you know how I am getting on. Speak to you soon guys ;-)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pete

I know what pain your going through and it hurts like hell. I had RA 8 years ago in both my hands, elbows, knees and heels of my feet i was first put on diclofenec, i did find that helped so much, i wore trainers which were much more comfortable, make sure you exercise but dont over do it, cause as soon as you sit for a while you get very stiff.

My consultant put me on sulfasulazine i felt fantastic the pain completely went but sadly it was knocking out to many white blood cells so i had to come off it.

I wanted to say to you my RA lasted for 9 months and haven't had it back in 8 years. so chin up and i hope you recover soon.

• Posted

i am 39 and 2 years ago was diagnosed with RA i had it very severe and ended up on methotrexate. horrible stuff gave me a chest infection that lead to pneumonia and hospital. being a mum to 3 children it through our life in termoil. i have slowly got better, but i am currently having a small (in comparison to previous) flare up. i did have this in my early teens too and the docs think it was caused both times by a sore throat. keep your chin up it can be so painfull, i couldnt even walk for 2 months i was bed bound. it fets better but i am always worried it will return.
  • Posted

Dear all,

I am fighting with ReA due to chlamydia infection. Everything started in July 2012. It took me awhile to find a doctor who can treat this. My left foot is swollen and MRI shows fluids within the joints. I also have a pain that migrates around my body. My doctor is treating me with antibiotics and I am also taking sulfasalazine. This is my second week on it.

Can someone share their experience?

And how are they feeling now?

The frequency of relapses

And can we have a "normal life" with this condition?

Is this condition temporary of for life?

• Posted

Hi, i would like to hear your stories. Did you overcome this?
  • Posted

Can anyone share an update on how their Reactive Arthritis is doing?

I developed Reactive Arthritis over a year ago and am still unable to walk.

THANK YOU to anyone willing to share!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.