Rebound acid from stopping PPIs

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im a 23 year old fit female, and I decided to stop PPIs which were initially givent to me due to a misdiagnosis.

It's been 23 days since I stopped my PPIs, and i must say I've had plenty of good days, however, I also still have a few bad days (i am more on the silent reflux end). I wanted to know about your experiences coming off. the reason why is because I checked a few studies saying that the rebound lasts up to 3 weeks. Im entering week 4 and I still don't feel fully recovered. took 1 month of omperazole and two months of pantoprazole at high doses. Weaned off in the span of a week (super quickly unfortunately, but I could not handle the side effects anymore).

Thank you for the help smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I know you talking about. I was on omeprazole for only 7 days and stopped because side effects(upset stomach). I think i am being misdiagnosis too. Doctor thought i have silent reflex which i don't thing i have since i haven't had heartburn. now it is being 9 days since i stopped the medicine and my stomach is burning bad, nausea and loss of appettite. it seems like you are not having bad rebound symptoms. what were you symptoms in the first 2 weeks of stopping the medicine?

• Posted

the first couple of weeks were quite hard, 

my main symptoms were nausea, headaches, eye pressure, fatigue and dizziness, especially after meals. The symptoms would calm down towards night.

I alternate between good days and bad days. I must say, today being day 23 has been tough. I've had nausea all day and a headache. But it is probably because I had a tea this morning and a french garlic and herb flavored cheese, these ingredients are known to relax the LES.

I hope we will hear from other people as well!

• Posted

Hi Maria

i would say that with silent reflux you wouldn’t normally get heartburn. I and many others that I know have LPR or Silent Reflux and the main symptoms are in the throat. We have a Facebook group that you should join if not already done so.

happy to answer any questions.

Tom

• Posted

Tom, what is your Facebook group called. I have never had heartburn but still ended up with Barretts esophagus etc. No gastroenterologist ever mentioned LPR...
    • Posted

Hi

it is Silent Reflux, Silent GERD, LPR support and chat 

there is a lot of good support and advice on this forum

best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.