Rebounding from steroid withdrawal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience to me? I've been on Clobatesol around 11 months. From the start I was unconvinced that it was helping me and felt I might even be allergic. Doctors and dermatologist however were dismissive and advised me I must continue the treatment. One Gyne told me to increase the to twice a day, the dermatologist told me to tail it off and go back to once daily during flare ups. I have found that every time I tail it off I get really red and sore, my skin peels and burns and becomes tight. I have tried bicarbonate of soda baths, sea salt baths, coconut oil, Hydromol, aloe vera, to name but a few of the more successful treatments. All alongside the clob advice. Recently I visited an Italian gyne because the clob was not working (currently temporarily staying there) She advised I should use a different steroid, Advantan combined with estriol cream. Applying them for only 10 successive days a month, then nothing. Estriol morning, steroid at night. For those 10 days things really improved but now, having stopped as advised, one week later I'm really suffering the peeling/red/burning/tightness again. At my wits end and feeling very low and hopeless. I want to stop steroids altogether because everything seems to have got worse and more constant since I was prescribed them last year. Don't know if I'm rebounding/withdrawing or flaring up again. Don't know if I should apply another dose of steroid and ignore the current 10 day only treatment plan. Has anyone had a similar experience and come out the other side? I know it's a chronic condition but I can't seem to get the treatment right or find a health professional who'll listen!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You sound to be having a rough time, Silly question perhaps,but do you reduce the

Clog. gradually, e.g. alternate days for a week then every third day for a

week etc until once a week for a month then only if you need it. This worked

for me but I do tend to use it once a week

• Posted

Hi Ann, thanks for your post. Yes, that's the advice I know but I've never managed to get below twice a week, once a week produces the 'rebound' type symptoms sad Even twice a week took a long time to get to. Then I'm never sure if the flare is due to the reduction in clob or the disease itself....

• Posted

Perhaps twice a week is your optimum level and if that is what

you need to keep things under control perhaps that is the way to go.

I use coconut oil twice a day and that keeps things moist and

reasonably healthy, but I do use the steroid once a week, and sometimes

twice if needed. We need to be in charge of our own health, and I

don't think that the professionals really understand the realities!!

• Posted

I guess so, no one really understands it unless they have it themselves (which I wouldn't wish on anyone).

Perhaps I'll try twice a week on the new treatment (advantan & estriol) as it seems to suit me better than clob. When i used it for 10 days it was the best I'd been in a year!

• Posted

No I haven't. Diagnosed Feb 2017 with LS. Use Clobetasol twice a day. Use a mixture of 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp borax mixked with warmed bottled water. I put it in a squeez bottle. Use this after each bathroom visit. Blot dry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.