Reboxetine helped with depression & CFS M.E.

Posted , 3 users are following.

smile I was diagnosed with CFS/ME 12 yrs ago and have tried so many anti-depressants but none have really helped. I'd been really low & constantly tired for the last 7 years and had almost given up hope, until i found a new doctor who listened to me, was interested in CFS & prescribed me Reboxetine. For the first few weeks I had a bit of trouble sleeping at times and still don't sleep aswell, but the difference it has made to my engergy & mood far outweigh the mild side effects.

I also went to see a kinesiologist who said I was allergic to alot of food I'd been eating & I've stuck to the diet & nearly all my CFS/ME symptoms have disappeard. The main things I stopped eating were Yeast, Sugar, Alcohol & Lactose. The difference is amazing. If you suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or M.E. I'd really recommend getting your diet looked at & strongly recommend trying reboxetine, if you are very low with very little energy or enthusiasm for anything. It's changed my life. Only worry is that i'm now pregnant so waiting to see my doctor to know if I have to stop taking reboxetine, which I'm worried about.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie, just came across your post but see its a good few years old! I have a very similar story to you in that of CFS for as long. Also been on every anti-depressant on the menu but Reboxetine so now giving it a go. Finding your post has made me a bit more optimistic! I hope you are still doing well. I just wanted to ask when after taking it did you notice a lasting benefit and on what dose?

I wasnt expecting any benefit until the usual 2 - 4 weeks but on starting on 2mg a.m and 2mg p.m by day two had so much more energy and with it insomnia which was an amazing experience after having been a zombie for so many years! Day 4 now and i feel like i'm slowing down. I have been prescribed 4mg twice a day so may up it to that but just wondered if i should be a bit more patient!

Appreciate your advice!

BW, Tom

• Posted

hiya tommy cheesygrin

im sorry, but im afraid what you are experiencing is the 'placebo' effect, large scale studies have proved that it is an ineffective drug and can cause more problems than it fixes sad

it has never been approved for use in the U.S.A because of its ineffectiveness, i really don't know why your doctor has prescribed it given the facts rolleyes

ill post a link in the next post as the mods will need to approve it before its posted cheesygrin

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Hi Chief, thanks for your reply. Reboxetine is the only antidepressant I havent tried and so have no other options. Unfortunately in CFS antidepressants are all they are willing to prescribe and as I did get a good response from the SNRI Duloxetine I figured Reboxetine being a close relative as an NRI could potentially work.

But yes I am aware of the BMJ article about its apparent ineffectiveness. I find it strange though that despite the findings it is still licensed in the UK and Europe. And yes the US wont licence it and dont say why not?!I But then an antidepressant that is licensed in the US and useful in CFS is not licensed here for depression but only for nicotine withdrawal - Bupropion. I might have to start smoking to quit to get it!

From scouring the net people's personal accounts seem to more in favour of Reboxetine working for them than not. But I understand with all anti-depresants it can be very individual.

As no problematic side effects at the mo I'll give it more time...

Thanks for looking out for me!

Tom

• Posted

I don't find it strange that it is licensed in the uk but not in the us. After all arn't they just business that operate to get profits?

From my understanding it might give you more energy by focusing on your norapineprine system, but by using more dopamine to create norapine it will deplete your dopamine and make you depressed. I am not a doctor but it go's to show what a con these drug companies have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.