Received a copy of my assessment for PIP...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yesterday I received the good news that I have been successful in claiming PIP so when a copy of my face to face assessment arrived this morning I wasn't too worried about reading it. The assessor had scored me enough points to receive both care and mobilty at enhanced rates and thankfully the DWP agreed!

Anyway a few pointers that might help others who are awaiting their assessments:

In the report, the assessor refers to 'observations' made by herself AND two other members of staff at the assessment centre - one was the secretary and another must have been someone who had watched me arrive at the centre (maybe from a window or from outside!)  Luckily both of these members of staff had been honest and I was observed to have been dropped off at the door by taxi with my friend, walking with a stick and looking anxious and unsteady on my feet.  The secretary had described me a slow and unsteady on arrival, looked in pain when I walked, pale looking, thin, casually dressed, sat quietly with little eye contact....etc etc I won't go into too much detail but the secretary had described how I walked, my complexion, mood, facial expressions, interaction with my friend, eye contact with her, etc whilst waiting to go in for my assessment.

Now please note:  The secretary had been honest and correct in describing what I was like in her presence so think about how you present yourself from the moment you enter the doors!  I am only warning you because whilst I was waiting for my assessment this young man arrived at the centre with his two friends and even I could tell he was 'playing up to the cameras' as they say!  He continually grunted and groaned when he sat down or moved and he talked really loudly saying things like 'I am in pain today because my prescription delivery didn't arrive from Boots yesterday I couldnt go to the pharmacy to pick it up myself!'  and 'I am so hot today but I couldn't get my t-shirt on myself!' (yet he was wearing a tight polo-neck jumpers, jeans with a posh buckled belt and lace up boots which he must have managed to put on AND he was waving his arms around in despair as he talked!?????)  And also when the secretary called him to the desk to show his ID, he was quite rude and just shouted over to her 'I'm in pain, you'll have to come and get it!'  She didn't look to happy with him so I dread to think what observations she would have recorded about him.....obnoxious, fake looking, loud, confident......maybe! 

So just act as you normally do and try not to look like you are playing up to the cameras!

The report itself read quite well and I couldn't see anything wrong with mine at all.  I think if you just make sure you reliterate what you wrote on your initial PIP application form then you should be fine.  I didn't send in too much paper evidence with my application so I made sure I gave as much info as possible myself when answering each question.

During the assessment the assessor had made comments on the way I communicated with her, the way I looked, my mood, my interactions with her as well as my responses to her questions.

To end, if you have an assessment coming up, just try to relax and be how you usually are during the day.  Yes you will be anxious - I was, and the assesor and secretary picked that up just from observing me and without the need to hear me say it.  So good luck to you all wink

0 likes, 161 replies

161 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

May I ask how long the awards last for? I.e. do you need reassessing annually? 😫🤔
    • Posted

mine is for 5 years so until June 22nd 2021
    • Posted

I had my assessment on June 23 so I assume that is where they get the 22nd June from.
    • Posted

Thank you. I've read someone having it for 3yrs, so I guess it depends on disability.

• Posted

some are awarded for 1 year, some 2 years, 3 years etc.  Yes, I assume it deends on what you are suffering from and how long they think you will suffer.
    • Posted

Yeah maybe mines for 4 years , but I heard that you get reassessed a year before  it is due to end.

at least I don't have to worry about anything for 3 years at least and they put me in the support group last week too , so hopefully that will be as long a time.

• Posted

yes I was told I was remaining in the support group for esa last month so it is nice knowing I don't have to worry about either benefit for a while. 

• Posted

It is a shame they only gave you 4 years considering you were on DLA for 15!  Though I have heard they are giving most people 1 year and the rest 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. and not so many on indefinite either.
    • Posted

The thing is though with the PIP term length of 4 years , the assessor recommended that , but for reasons that are nothing to do with me getting the award.

like me getting my hearing aids , I have got tinnitus it's horrible, but she didn't award me any points for that anyway?

• Posted

I agree - my assessor scored me 0 points for a couple of descriptors which I was sure I would have scored points on - but at least we both got awarded enhanced so have to be grateful for that.  I am just hoping that by the time we come to be reassessed, the whole process will be easier.  I have heard that they send out a much easier and quicker form to those who are starting to be reassessed now.  
    • Posted

Yeah so have I maybe they won't make it as soul destroying in the future , because all this just makes you worse,

• Posted

And I did tell her that I have had hearing aids for a few years and was just waiting for replacements because I lost one .
    • Posted

Yeah but it's not the points I'm bothered about its just the fact it doesn't make sense.

• Posted

Well all you can do is accept it or query it?  And if you query it, they may want to look at your award again.  Best put it away in a drawer for now and relax for the next few years.  That is what I intend to do - like I said, I still think I should have score more points than I did.
    • Posted

Oh no way would I query it , like I said it doesn't affect my award and I'm more than happy with what I got.

I just find it confusing that this is why she recommended the award length.

• Posted

One of the founding principles of PIP was to demonstrate to the general public that those claiming a sickness/disability benefit WILL be assessed at any time and certainly within 12 months of a given date.

One of the major complaints the general public had about DLA was that awardees were getting the benefit but were unlikely to be re-assessed to ensure that they were still entitled to it.

Their may well be consequences further down the line upon a re-assessment for PIP if you tell the DWP that you have had difficulties that you then rely on have been there for years and certainly at the time of the original PIP award. The question then could be asked that if that is the case why did you not bring that to the attention of the DWP at the time of original decision if you believed you were entitled to more points?

This is still happening with Attendance Allowance - once someone is awarded it for an idefinite time very few are ever challenged to prove at a later date that they are still entitled to it. 

This to me is unfair and ageist. Age by itself does not differentiate from those that are genuine and those that might stretch the truth a bit.

AA awards should be tested in the same way as PIP is for it to be fair to everyone.

• Posted

If you are referring to what I said about believing I should have been awarded more points for my care component - well yes, I did put my reasons in writing on my PIP application form, though they were either disregarded and forgotten about.  So if I am asked at a later date, then I can refer back to my PIP application form. Just now I have absolutely NO plans to take this up with the DWP as I got enhanced rate for both components and just want to relax now and try to destress from all the stress I have built up over the past few months.
    • Posted

I fully understand TCake and understand what you have said about putting the info on the PIP2 from. I was only pointing out that if you rely upon these 'dismissed' diffulties at a later re-assessment the DWP could well want to know why you didn't apply for a MR/appeal.

It could lead them to think that they weren't that important or important enough for you to challenge the decison.

• Posted

Yes, I defo told them on my written form.  I wasn't asked about them during the medical so that is why the nurse probably didn't award me as many points for them.  I have kept copies of everything so I have my evidence if they challenge me in future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.