Received a text message to say forms have been received... GP is willing to write a letter for me

Posted , 6 users are following.

Evening all,

​I wrote a message on here yesterday evening regarding myself having no evidence for my disability and how im in pain when i walk and stand.

​I am 26 and a dwarf and stand at 4ft4.

​My GP has called me and is willing to write a note for me to send off to PIP saying that day to day walking and standing causes me huge discomfort and also that my thighs chaf everytime i walk which causes discomfort.... I have problems when it comes to washing as i cannot reach parts of my body and i struggle to bend because i suffer with lower back pains because of my condition...

​Would this be enough for evidence? Just a letter from my GP?

​I also forgot to mention in the forms that i have had a walk in shower put in my house due to my condition.. is this something i should mention in my assesment?

​Please let me know.

Thank you all... x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Whilst you have this evidence, you do need to decide which descriptors you will be relying on. If you don't make a case for them, then the DWP will not help make one for you.

?Evidence comes in two parts - confirmation of the condition and confirmation that the descriptors you are aiming for actually apply.

• Posted

Hi Les, Evidence doesn't come in 2 parts for PIP. Confirmation of the condition is like saying a diagnosis is needed. This is wrong, it's not about the diagnosis it's about how your condition affects you in daily life.

• Posted

The walk in shower isn't relevant in itself for PIP.  You need to explain your ability or inability to use an unadapted bath or shower.  You should think about how you used to manage before you had it put in, or how you'd manage now if you stayed with family/friends or in a hotel with an unadapted bath or with an unadapted shower.  Think of each separately (you don't need to have problems with both) and whether you could manage with an aid or if you'd need assistance from another person.  If you think an aid wouldn't help you'll need to explain why.  Provided you've covered these points on your form you should be ok.  

You could mention the walk in shower in your assessment if they ask about your 'typical day' but emphasise that you know the form was asking about how you'd manage in an unadapted shower or bath.  I've read about claimants incorrectly being given zero points because they can manager perfectly well in their walk in shower.  The assessors should know this isn't how they should judge your ability on that descriptor but I think it's worth reminding them. 

• Posted

Hi Natalie

A letter from your GP MUST be considered as evidence. Until a recent test case in the courts only 'Factual Reports' from GP's were allowed by the DWP. But since the court case that has now changed and your GP is considered as a creditable Health Care Professional and can advise on how the disability affects you and on any personal help you require.

A walk in shower is not considered as an 'aid' but is definitely worth mentioning and I would recommend reading Sukes' post. Although a shower is not considered an aid if the shower is fitted with a chair that is considered as an aid and will potentially score points on the washing and bathing descriptor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.