Received date for my operation, I’m so scared.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m going in for a hysterectomy on 7 feb 2018.  I’m 40 years old with multiple fibroids the largest nearly 9cm. My uterus is the size of a 20 week pregnant women. Strangely I can cope with the monthly bleeding and pain. But not with the constant fatigue and tiredness and always taking ghastly iron tablets to combat my anemia. However the fibroids are putting pressure on my bladder and at times I feel like I’m wetting myself if I don’t get to the toilet fast enough. I am currently out of work since November due to a restructure and looking for employment as a single mum this is causing me great anxiety and stress. I find myself worrying about my operation and also worrying how to pay the bills. I have a job interview lined up and not sure how to mention my pending operation if I get the job. I don’t want to put my operation off but I’m not sure what to do. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was in exactly the same postion as you last year, I was 46, had fibroids as well which were pressing down on my bladder, I was up at the toilet every hour of the night, totally exhausted and then trying to go to work, looking back I don’t know how I did it. I had my surgery last April, best thing I ever did should have done it a few years ago, I feel so much better, no periods, sleeping much better, my life has definitely improved...it turned out I’d 10 fibroids, most on the outside of my womb, I had a brilliant gynaecologist, operation was tough but my recovery was good. What I would say to you is you need someone at home to look after you, I had my partner and my Mum, do not do anything strenuous for the few couple of months, I took five months off my work as I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed (I had breast cancer four years ago so removal was a precaution), I’m glad I took it easy now as I didn’t put any pressure on my body and let it heal in its own time, I stated swimming after a couple of months and some gentle yoga at home along with walking...you will do great and you’ll look back in six months and wonder why you worried...
  • Posted

Hi Natasha, I understand your worries I go in for a full hysterectomy on Friday ,I too have multiple fibroids and the bladder issues are a nuisance to say the least , I am so fed up of going to the toilet to wee just so I don't wet myself which I know will happen if I don't get there quick enough lol! But on a serious note I am hoping it will be the answer to my problems . Sorry about your job situation I am sure if you are up front about your surgery they will understand and, once you recover you will once again be     Able to go back to work as normal with good health . Let me know how you go on and I will keep you informed of my recovery .x

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

How did it all go? I have my vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair on Monday morning.I'm sdjck to my stomach lol. Any advice for me lovexx

Speedy recovery to you. X

• Posted

I suffered for years with endometriosis and was scared to have a hysterectomy. I put it off and had less invasive procedures. After two laparoscopies and continued pain, reoccurring adhesions, extreme fatigue I decided to have a hysterectomy. My doctor performed a total abdominal hysterectomy. It is 5 weeks since my operation. I am still on the road to recovery, this takes time. I am trying to keep positive, and focus on my healing. Everyone I spoke to personally has told me about the positive outcomes and quality of life they now enjoy post op. I pray that your operation is a success and that you recover fully and quickly.
  • Posted

Hi Natasha

I have my. Vaginal hysterectomy on Monday and I'm sick to my stomach with nerves. I know I am in best of hands with my consultant but I'm just anxious how I will feel afterwards. I can only tasks paracetamol so I'm hoping I wont be in much pain.

I am having my anterior repair done as well. I just pray all is fine for us both. I have a prolapsed uterus and shall keep my ovaries. I am 50 and done meno 5 years ago.

I hope asll goes perfect for you. Xx

• Posted

Ihad to have total hysterectomy in august it's taken a few months to get myself right first few weeks can't do anything but take pain killers and sleep but now feel like different person sleeping better eating properly get up and go has returned I'm back in work and feeling good hope your op goes smoothly don't over do things x your body tells you when to stop but you need plenty of rest and tlc

• Posted

Positive news for someone also going in for a total hysterectomy 28th Feb 🤦???🙈 

• Posted

Natasha,

Your entire story sounds like mine.... I had a job that I traveled a lot for but do to my fibroids it became unbearable. Luckily, a job that I interviewed for months prior called me and it was a telework position. I was able to have my lapo hysterectomy on Dec 14th and logged on to my computer at home Dec 15th. If you can do anything, please please try to be in your best health as possible (start walking now if you’re not). You will have to start walking after surgery, cough, and do your breathing treatments. By day two I was up moving and light chores. 

Week 3 I was back in full affect with my workout routine/house duties. Again, please start exercising now if you can; it will help w a speedy recovery.

Mandi 

• Posted

Thank you Mandi - your story is really reassuring - weirdly enough the recovery is freaking me out more than the operation!!  (Is a lapo hysterectomy the keyhole rather than the cut  you open version?)
  • Posted

Me too!  I just found out today that my only option left is a hysterectomy to get rid of my fibroids as the biggest one (11cm) is too big and in the wrong place for ablation.  They've tried the coil and I currently have that and take the pill daily without a break and the symptoms are getting worse. Don't know when I'll get a date but I find the idea rather scary and the impact on my family life will be huge!  I just can't imagine being completely useless for weeks/months.  I'm a TA, I'm a mum, I'm only 42.    Glad I found this forum for support through it all - hubby's great but still feeling a bit isolated with this.  

Keep us up to date with how you're getting on.

Hugs x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.